Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Walkie Talkie question

Lorin

Knowing absolutely nothing about them, is it possible to get a walkie talkie that can communicate with a CB?

I don't want to fit a CB but it is a real pain when laning to not be able to communicate with those with CBs.

You could always get a hand held CB if it's that you don't want to drill any holes.

Generally speaking they operate on different frequency ranges. It's is possible, but more convenient to just by a handheld CB.

Hand jobs are good. And you can always connect to a small mag mount aeriel for better transmission. I have one that has a plug in mike too so the set can sit in the cubby hole. It's my back up. But can you get a walkie talkie that communicates on the CB frequencies? No, I think is the answer. The ones that you are talking about are I presume the sort of £39.95 comes as a pair range 3km jobbies. Hand held will cost you more than a mounted set though. Around £100 in terms of RRP usually.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TobyJug said:
Get a midland 42..Have a look on my site at the 42:http://www.truckersnet.org.uk/midland-42-multi-94-p.asp I will even discount u being a member here..
Sorry Toby I forgot about your site selling the CB's :oops: . The Midland 42 was my first CB, I keep it now as a back-up, they are good :thumbup: , range is perfectly adequate for convoy use, I don't know their max range, mine has come in very handy a couple of times as a spare.

Cheers for the reponses :thumbup:

Thought we'd gone off topic for a second..... :? :lol:
Chris said:
Hand jobs are good

Not what I was hoping but thought this would be the case
Chris said:
But can you get a walkie talkie that communicates on the CB frequencies? No, I think is the answer. The ones that you are talking about are I presume the sort of £39.95 comes as a pair range 3km jobbies. Hand held will cost you more than a mounted set though

Cheers Toby. I'll be in touch. Just got to scrape up a few more pennies. :thumbup:
TobyJug said:
Get a midland 42.... I will even discount u being a member here..

Lorin said:
Cheers Toby. I'll be in touch. Just got to scrape up a few more pennies. :thumbup:
TobyJug said:
Get a midland 42.... I will even discount u being a member here..

No worries.. Just give me a bell when you are ready and I will sort you out..
I have a few handhelds on the site..
I would recommend Midland or Intek.. I do sell the Maycom one too but I am not a fan of it, they are ok don't get me wrong but I prefer the Midland...

Hi Toby,

I could also be looking for a hand held CB.
I am also know zilch of any value about CB radios.
Why is the Midland your prefered one.
Which Midland would you chose if you were looking for a hand held CB.
Can it come with a bracket of sorts, that allows a tempory mount in the LC.
or can it just sit on the front passenger seat, plugged into a magmount aerial?

Graham

Graham said:
Hi Toby,

I could also be looking for a hand held CB.
I am also know zilch of any value about CB radios.
Why is the Midland your prefered one.
Which Midland would you chose if you were looking for a hand held CB.
Can it come with a bracket of sorts, that allows a tempory mount in the LC.
or can it just sit on the front passenger seat, plugged into a magmount aerial?

Graham

Hey Graham..

Well I prefer Midland because they seem to be very good from my experience + they have been going for over 30 years so they must be doing something right.
They come with a car-kit for charging and it will allow you to just connect a bigger antenna.

as for a bracket they do have one bit it's no included.
However I just used the £1 poundland universal mobile phone bracket and that works fine.

Your only in Warrington aren't you?

Here's some photos of my Midland 42 & how I mounted it in my first truck Shaky :)

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

25.jpg

28.jpg

CopyofP4010008.jpg

:D :D :D

Just ordered a Midland Hand held and a stainless aerial from your site Toby. I'm well impressed with the looks of them and nobody has said a bad word about them yet :thumbup:

Hi Toby,

Yeah, generally in Warrington, but in China for now.
Plans change very quick.
I think when I get back, I will just take a spin along to your place, and also go for the Midland 42.
It looks good, and as has been said before, they seem to be well liked.

Is the lower half of the Midland 42, just the battery pack, which can be taken off, when using an external power supply, ie, from the truck?

As in the second photo from sae70.

Graham

Ecoman said:
Just ordered a Midland Hand held and a stainless aerial from your site Toby. I'm well impressed with the looks of them and nobody has said a bad word about them yet :thumbup:

Thanks mate, just seen the order.
Do you have a mount?
I could throw in a nice body mount for ultimate groundplane for free.

Graham said:
Hi Toby,

Yeah, generally in Warrington, but in China for now.
Plans change very quick.
I think when I get back, I will just take a spin along to your place, and also go for the Midland 42.
It looks good, and as has been said before, they seem to be well liked.

Is the lower half of the Midland 42, just the battery pack, which can be taken off, when using an external power supply, ie, from the truck?

As in the second photo from sae70.

Graham

nice I wish I was in China so often....
Yes on your question, the battery packs take re-chargeable battery's and when taken off and connected to the car's supply it's even compacter..

I pretty much only ever used connected to the car to be honest as that way with an external aerial you get pretty much the same range as with a static rig..

Graham, the connector pack that plugs into the car has a lead for an external aerial as you can can see in one of the pics, but the rubber duck aerial works fine, it doesn't mean when that base is used the rubber duck is by-passed.

Ecoman said:

Right as said over the phone seen as you paid straight away and I did not get chance to give you a club-discount I have wrapped up one of these for you..

rackmount-4stud.jpg
rackmount-4stud-2.jpg

It's the one including the 4 mtrs of cable should bolt straight onto your roof-rack.. :thumbup:

:dance: Toby your a star mate its spot on for what I need. Was great chatting to you on the phone earlier. I will give you a bell when I'm passing your way next :thumbup:

Gents, I will have a Maycom AH-27 (hand held cb almost the same as the Midland) for sale over the weekend, when I am home.

Paul

Ecoman said:
:dance: Toby your a star mate its spot on for what I need. Was great chatting to you on the phone earlier. I will give you a bell when I'm passing your way next :thumbup:

No worries mate...
Was nice speaking to you again too..

speak soon

Back