Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Walkie Talkie question

sae70 said:
Here's some photos of my Midland 42 & how I mounted it in my first truck Shaky :)
26.jpg

:D :D :D
Steve, neat install but can you guide me through how you used the cb here... Being a bit of a dumbass, it looks quite tricky to get the mic out of that tray & then pull the cable up & through the hole in the bottom of the plastic box... Or was it fine??

Can this mic be used with a standard cb mic clip?

Cheers

Iv'e got an ICOM IC-M70 (need to check if its the "70" but i think thats it)

its a handheld marine VHF radio - bought 2nd hand off a mate for sea kayaking.
we are going on a course this weekend to get training and license/certificate to use it.

is this any use for overland travel as well?

AndyCook said:
Iv'e got an ICOM IC-M70 (need to check if its the "70" but i think thats it)

its a handheld marine VHF radio - bought 2nd hand off a mate for sea kayaking.
we are going on a course this weekend to get training and license/certificate to use it.

is this any use for overland travel as well?

Not really.
The frequency is for marine use only.
Maritime radio exists primarily for the safety of human life and vessels at sea. It is vital that interference is avoided.

Gav Peter said:
sae70 said:
Here's some photos of my Midland 42 & how I mounted it in my first truck Shaky :)
26.jpg

:D :D :D
Steve, neat install but can you guide me through how you used the cb here... Being a bit of a dumbass, it looks quite tricky to get the mic out of that tray & then pull the cable up & through the hole in the bottom of the plastic box... Or was it fine??
I just used to pick up the CB pulling the wire through the hole & when finished drop it back in & the wire would fall back through the hole as I guided the CB back toward the holder. It did on occasion require a bit of a wiggle to unhook the coiled part of the wire from the hole so I subsequently cut a verticle slot right up the front of the holder from the hole in the bottom, so when you picked up the CB the straight length of wire @ the base of the CB would pass straight through. You can just about see the slot in the photo below (taken in my second truck Snowy).

P21901862.jpg

Gav Peter said:
No!

PS - The holder that you see both my PMR & CB in was bought from Halfords for about a tenner :)

sae70 said:
Gav Peter wrote:

No!
Well you can't say fairer than that :cool:

I can't quite make out the vertical cut you mentioned Steve but yes, that was what was running through my mind as a mod/improvement to allow the cable to move more freely when pulling the mic out... :cool:

I'm hopefully meeting Toby later in the week do wheelerdeal one of these off him... :shhh:

:lol:

Gav Peter said:
I can't quite make out the vertical cut you mentioned Steve
I still have the holder in the shed, I'll take a clearer pic of it for you some time over the next couple of days. Shant be able to show it with the CB in it though as I've rescently sold this on eBay :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sae70 said:
Gav Peter said:
I can't quite make out the vertical cut you mentioned Steve
I still have the holder in the shed, I'll take a clearer pic of it for you some time over the next couple of days. Shant be able to show it with the CB in it though as I've rescently sold this on eBay :)
Nice one :cool:

Gav Peter said:
I'm hopefully meeting Toby later in the week do wheelerdeal one of these off him... :shhh:
:lol:

I'll pop round 2morrow if that is ok..
I will txt or pm you after for the address..

Big thanks to Toby for dropping off my handset earlier today - cheers dude :cool:

Having just had a chance to have a look at me purchase, without having actually managed to plug it in & try it yet, I'm really pleased with the package :D

The only thing that I think it could do with is a blank to fit over the antenna connection for when you're using it off the main antenna from the vehicle - if you've got a spare antenna kicking about Toby, I might have one off you to see if it can be cut down to make one... :cool:

Looking forwards to getting it hooked up :cool:

Cheers

Gav Peter said:
Big thanks to Toby for dropping off my handset earlier today - cheers dude :cool:

Having just had a chance to have a look at me purchase, without having actually managed to plug it in & try it yet, I'm really pleased with the package :D

The only thing that I think it could do with is a blank to fit over the antenna connection for when you're using it off the main antenna from the vehicle - if you've got a spare antenna kicking about Toby, I might have one off you to see if it can be cut down to make one... :cool:

Looking forwards to getting it hooked up :cool:

Cheers

Your more than welcome mate,
Glad your happy with it.
I will sign you up as a customer on the site and you can leave a review/ comment.

Just leave the rubber duck on.. lol
remind me in a week or 2 and I will let you know I think I can just get one somewhere.. lol
:thumbup:

I'll nip back to site & sign up buddy - no worries :cool:

But as for leaving that 'rubber dick' on, I'll have me eye out with that in no time!!! :lol:

just leave it off Gav, what's the worry? There's no switch over between the two antenna ports, it just relies on one of them being disconnected so at most you should just put a rubber cap over it but I wouldn't even bother doing that, hasn't done mine any harm ;)

Fair one Jon - I just wanted to make sure I didn't spill juice/coffee/slobber in it & muck it up for that one time it might be used out of the car!!! :lol: I'll see what I can find...

Back