Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Watching recorded telly on my iphone

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Love or hate 'em, there are some cool things you can do with a smart phone.

I watch telly on my Mac through a device called Elgato eyetv. It's a USB freeview box the size of a packet of Wriggly's Chewing gum. I can watch, record and time slip. It will export into a dozen formats, edit out adverts etc. Pretty good in any respect. Recently it started 'converting' things for Wifi. I had no idea what that meant until today.

I can now use my iphone, wherever I have a decent connection, to drag recordings off the Mac to watch, whenever I like. So if I am away (which I am quite a lot) and I have recorded loads of things, I can catch up in a hotel. I can use the output and various leads to play the content on a full sized TV too.

I love it. Doubtless there are other packages that do this, but it's new to me. All it needs is for the Mac to be on and the TV app running, which it is all of the time anyway.

Shame there's nothing on!

Chris

Most channes have the same thing as the BBC iPlayer. I can even get Sky on my phone. Also there is tvcatchup.

Paul

But iplayer only keeps progs so long. I can access my entire recording collection on demand. Going back years.

Chris

Back