Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Waterless Coolant

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
Just seen this on wheeler dealers.

Seems like a good product. Wont cause rust inside the engine like normal coolant, and much less likely to blow radiator hoses etc. as the system doesn't get pressurised.

They took the rad cap off with the engine running when up to temp and no steam or pressure.

The other thing they said was that this coolant never needs replacing, unlike normal coolant that should be replaced every 2 years. :think:

Has anyone used it?

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

Haven't used it Ben but i also saw Mr China use it , it was the TR6 program wasn't it ?

and how much do we have to pay for this miraculous product?

I'm pretty sure I'd need 3 of those 5 litre bottles for my cooling system.

£220 all in. Ouch! :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
good point I suppose most will always need at least 2 of the coolant

Another Q is the heat transfer capabilities. Tried to find on the site listed above here, but could not find the Heat Capacity. Also the Heat of Vaporization and density would be interesting to know.

The good thing with water is the very high heat capacity and vaporization energy.

whats the point? id stick with toyota spec. that is expensive enough

whats the point? id stick with toyota spec. that is expensive enough

Wont cause rust inside the engine like normal coolant, and much less likely to blow radiator hoses etc. as the system doesn't get pressurised.

They took the rad cap off with the engine running when up to temp and no steam or pressure.

The other thing they said was that this coolant never needs replacing, unlike normal coolant that should be replaced every 2 years.

Still not sure its worth that much money. :think:

OK in an old classic car that only needs one bottle, and only gets used in summer so stands for 6 months + every year.

But in a normal cruiser? no think I will stick with normal coolant. :icon-smile:

Iron blocks don't rust, ok Steel liners may rust, however the anti-corrosion additives in normal ethyl-glycol antifreeze counters that prevent corrosion and galvanic action (dissimilar metals - eg Alloy + Iron)

Also, I've never heard of an engine rusting through (someone will no-doubt come and correct me) and Toyota used to sell "4-life" which was supposed to never need replacing (ok, now it's long-life coolant and has a 5 year life)

Q) What's the latent heat capacity of the fluid (how much energy does it hold)?
Q) Does it stop coolant lines from rusting on the outside? I dread to think of the repair bill using this stuff and my steel lines corroded from the outside in (e.g. the long run of lines under the body for the rear heater) and then having to replace the fluid again.
Q) Even at £40 per coolant change, you'd need to have followed a 2 year regimen for 10 years to see a saving. I bet some other repair will have negated the cost saving by that time (my coolant lines are screwed and I lost all my coolant! My radiator got holed and I lost all my coolant... etc etc) so will you have saved any money in the long term?

Even for a classic car, I cannot see any benefit.

I refer to my previous opinion (and without some hard fact, that's what it remains, and as long as they keep holding secrets to their chest, everything they say is their opinion and sales hyperbole)

Last edited:
Back