Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Well I certainly wasn't expecting that!

After that Bob I Googled it. And you can get helmets with all this built in. I'm not really keen on digging out the liner of the helmet myself. Not that I couldn't do it, but if I came off, it would be a very convenient excuse for the insurance co not to pay out to my widow.

Forget carving holes in the foam and get a Schuberth helmet. Probably the best helmets you can get even without the built in intercom/radio/mp3 player etc.

Scuba helmet? I'm not going diving TP. Ha ha. Have to say I've never heard of them.

Local places sells Arai, AGV, Shoei and so on and they have a cut away Shoei. It's just polystyrene inside. Nothing clever, just Styrofoam. So that's 1o pence. What's the other £499? Well there are features of course, the shell is made of better materials and they'll have spent time in wind tunnels getting it as quiet as possible, but I figure underneath there's little different between them. Light, yes. Quiet, yes, Protect my head, yes. Ventilation, yes - but just what do I HAVE to spend to get those and at which point is someone genuinely taking the pi**

£100? £200? £300? £800? They all seem to have the same standard on the label. There aren't any that say safe up to 50mph or safe over £100mph. Given that I'm not buying a track bike to do the TT in, I'm sure that I don't need to spend £1000 on one.

OK OK you can't take chances. But look at old Schumacher. I bet his lid cost more than that and look what good it did him. The question is what is a realistic spend before you really aren't getting anything more for your money? Drop it and it's scrap. After 5 years it should be binned regardless. I need shares in a helmet company.

Schuberth also make F1 helmets and are definitely at the pricier end of the scale. Probably the most important factor is fit/comfort and you will find some makes of helmet fit better than others irrespective of sizing. Some of the pricier ones have removable cheek pieces in different sizes for a more customised fit. For years I could never get an Arai to fit until they changed the shape of the shell. I just couldn't get one over my head, even in the biggest sizes (no jokes please). Try before you buy applies to helmets more than just about anything else. Good point about prices though. Even modern 'budget" helmets are much better than they used to be and are made to high standards, some achieving higher ratings than much more expensive models.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk

Edit

I would definately recommend a Flip Up helmet for convenience.

Scuba helmet? I'm not going diving TP. Ha ha. Have to say I've never heard of them.

Local places sells Arai, AGV, Shoei and so on and they have a cut away Shoei. It's just polystyrene inside. Nothing clever, just Styrofoam. So that's 1o pence. What's the other £499? Well there are features of course, the shell is made of better materials and they'll have spent time in wind tunnels getting it as quiet as possible, but I figure underneath there's little different between them. Light, yes. Quiet, yes, Protect my head, yes. Ventilation, yes - but just what do I HAVE to spend to get those and at which point is someone genuinely taking the pi**

£100? £200? £300? £800? They all seem to have the same standard on the label. There aren't any that say safe up to 50mph or safe over £100mph. Given that I'm not buying a track bike to do the TT in, I'm sure that I don't need to spend £1000 on one.

OK OK you can't take chances. But look at old Schumacher. I bet his lid cost more than that and look what good it did him. The question is what is a realistic spend before you really aren't getting anything more for your money? Drop it and it's scrap. After 5 years it should be binned regardless. I need shares in a helmet company.
ahh, the old law of diminishing returns..

I've had many different helmets over the years and I really liked the Arai's, comfortable light etc. Down side, very noisy indeed.

3 years ago I got a Schuberth flip helmet with the comms unit. Very comfortable, very quiet and has the sun visor. Don't think I will go back to anything else.

If you shop around you can get good discounts, got mine from the Excel bike show, with about 40% off list.

I also ride with disposable earplugs, which I say is a must for any distance riding....

With regards to comms, we switched to Bluetooth versions about 8 years ago, and the Scala Rider range are superb. The more recent models you can group around 10 riders together. Full duplex talking, no need to wait for the other person to stop talking so you can talk. The outgoing Schuberth helmets use these, sadly they are moving to their own version, so compatiblity will be a problem going forward.

Anyway, remember as someone once told me "cheap helmet, cheap head"

Oh, and waterproof boots.... defo get those

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Guys I know I take the p*** sometimes, but genuinely this is really valuable stuff. Thank you. I'd never buy a helmet over the web. Not unless I'd tried it in a shop and they were available off the shelf, every one the same. I'd have to have it on my bonce before parting with the green. I have waterproof boots. My stalking boots cost more than most bike boots. My instructor's comms aren't that good. They're voice activated and so you miss the first two words each time he speaks. I keep telling him to cough first or say 'OK'

I love my Arai helmets, light, good airflow, pinlock but most importantly they always seem to fit my head better than anything else. Oh and there's the free helmet clean and store at bike shows.

The big thing with helmets is they're not all built equally you have to look at the "Sharp" ratings, how noisy it is, how heavy it is etc etc.

If you've set yourself a budget for kit personally I'd be finding the right helmet first and then sorting out the rest.

Schuberth also make F1 helmets and are definitely at the pricier end of the scale. Probably the most important factor is fit/comfort and you will find some makes of helmet fit better than others irrespective of sizing. Some of the pricier ones have removable cheek pieces in different sizes for a more customised fit. For years I could never get an Arai to fit until they changed the shape of the shell. I just couldn't get one over my head, even in the biggest sizes (no jokes please). Try before you buy applies to helmets more than just about anything else. Good point about prices though. Even modern 'budget" helmets are much better than they used to be and are made to high standards, some achieving higher ratings than much more expensive models.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk

Edit

I would definately recommend a Flip Up helmet for convenience.

I've just relegated my Schuberth full face to the shelf after 6 years, it was supposed to be quiet but it wasn't. I tried dozens on at the MCN bash at Peterborough earlier this year and settled on a X-lite carbon fibre race type made by Nolan. It doesnt have the flip down sun visor but it is sooooo light, really noticable when you turn your head with it on and its quiet too.
I'd thought about the Flip Up type helmet but see so many riders riding with them flipped up on hot days and have seen the results of spills with bloody chins and noses I thought I'd stick with full face.

All these points are for Chris to digest through others experiences.

Oh and yes, pictures of you in one piece leathers, or it never happened :character-beavisbu:

No budget set. Nope. I'll buy what I need at the quality / rating I need it at. The price is what it is. If you say I want boots at no more than £100 then you'll get boots for £100. If I say I want boots that are the best in the rain then they might be £500. What I am asking here - and getting; is what to look for in a helmet. On a person to person basis, more money doesn't necessarily mean the right helmet. In other words just buying the most expensive kit doesn't mean it right. Just the most expensive.

I did like the idea of the flip front helmet, not for riding but when you pull up and say I think it was left back there not right, it's easier to he heard.

I did like the idea of the flip front helmet, not for riding but when you pull up and say I think it was left back there not right, it's easier to he heard.

Plus you can eat a quick snack, have a quick coffee/fag etc etc and when you're stuck in traffic (it does happen!) in 30 deg heat a flipped front is so much more comfortable. For me personally the pro's far out way the cons, if there are any? The prospect of facial injury riding with the front flipped is obvious, just don't do it, simples.

Yes a quick Ginsters at the lights does sound appealing.

Back