Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Well I certainly wasn't expecting that!

Tough moment in life Chris but as you have the right mindset - onwards and upwards!

The company I worked for about 7 years ago gave us the 1 hour notice and we cant afford to pay your salary for the past month - toodle oo! Left me right up the creek with no paddle.

I went into business with a colleague and we have never looked back, multi million pound turnover business now - although turnover is vanity and profit is sanity! :sunglasses: Never worked so hard in my life - but its mine!

Started 7 months ago, went from head of UK retail, to Head of all UK operations to Group head of and then after two weeks on holiday came back to a meeting today where they said come in, close the door, take a seat, here's your P45.

Well, at least I get a nice long weekend now. Jobs to do ....

Sorry to hear that mate :-( Good luck in finding something after youve finished that list of jobs to do.

Hey, got nothing but time Tony. It's the same distance in a car by the way.

Whichever way you go with the job Chris I can recommend the bike touring thing. Despite the obvious limitations in kit carrying capacity and exposure to the elements, bikes bring a new freedom to touring holidays. Just get the right gear to go with it. An adventure bike is also probably the best 2 wheel option despite some of the full dress road tourers having extra luggage capacity and more comfort. I've done regular 600m+ days on the road bike quite comfortably. Never been to Norway but I'm guessing the roads are a sight less crowded than over here, the journey there is mostly sea crossing anyway. Good luck:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey, got nothing but time Tony. It's the same distance in a car by the way.
Same distance, but you will be walking like a cowboy after that. With all the touring I have done on my bike, I have found my limits, and if I'm just getting from A to B in a blast then it's about 600km or about 8hrs. So something like London to Strausburg.

Normally though we aim for about 250km which gives you time for breakfast, lunch stop, and stopping for anything interesting...

Also fuel range is limited, on my bike about 170miles, or 130ish if blasting around...

Must say it's a excellent way to tour, but we don't camp, preferring cheap hotels which allows for a warm shower and ice cold beers.

We have also learnt over the years to plan the exact route and the hotels at the end of the day, as there is nothing worse than arriving somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the pissing rain and still have to fine a place to stay.

Enjoy, good luck on getting you license and new toy.

Tony mate I knew what you meant. But you just left the door wide open for me ...

Hey look I have to pass my test first and then buy a bike and in case I hadn't noticed - I'm out of work at the moment. Boo hoo. Went to look at a Tiger this morning. And a load of other bikes too, but I really liked the layout and more importantly the riding position, gears, brakes, dash etc. It just felt right. I'd like one of the latest models with the toys, but might have to settle on something more realistic like a 2013 vintage.

I know :)

I would like to get something tourer like, but there is no way I would spend the kind of money they want for new bikes...

When I first walked in I thought there'd been a mistake. First bike I saw was about £9995. Then I saw one at £13000. I remember saying to the paramedic, I never knew a bike could cost that much.

If I get my bike sorted, I could do Norway ...

I've been to Norway (on that BMW) - it was very wet :lol:.

A neighbour and I went to visit a friend in the south of Sweden (Angelholm). Back then we were able to get a ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger and then head East. That ferry no longer runs. It was a very interesting trip, we returned via Denmark, then Norway - the Orsund Bridge is quite something :thumbup:.

One day I'll go North from Stavanger, I would really like to tick off Nordcapp :icon-cool:.

Adventure bikes are comfortable on long trips and I was regularly doing 800/900 miles in a day. The longest day was 1,034 miles with five hours at the 'Netley Marsh Eurojumble' near Southampton. In Feb I attended the funeral of a bike club friend (78, heart attack) in the Forest of Dean. There and back 770 miles; easy on the big Beemer.

At my age (now 70) I need Gerbing heated gloves and a 'Chilli' heated waistcoat for long runs in the winter. That's no problem when you have a 720 Watt 12v Alternator. Old British bikes struggle to keep the lights going with 60Watt dynamos :doh:.

Get a bike and see the world, I wouldn't have been to many of the places I've visited if it wasn't for the bikes (France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Spain, Morocco, Croatia, Northern Greece, Turkey, all around the North of Scotland and Orkney and, of course, England and Wales).

Don't skimp on the riding gear or the quality of the helmet(s) my BMW 'System 5' with 'Pinlock Visor' was around £600. I can't understand people who spend £30 on a helmet :eusa-naughty:.

Bob (AKA "Voyager").

There are helmets that cost more then £30????

Faint.

There are helmets that cost more then £30????

Faint.

Welcome to the real world of biking Chris. To get the level of riding kit that you expect from your Landcruiser kit I'd be surprised if you got change out of £2K.

I know. It's even more expensive than deer stalking kit. And trust me that's not cheap; and I wear it to go and lie in the mud and wet.

Hi Chris,
Unlucky for the loss of the job.
Never mind, always a bright side.

I bought one of the last of the RD07 Honda Africa Twins.

Lovely bike to ride, so predictable.
Just right with the 750cc lowly tuned V twin.

Juct don't look at the prices of the new Honda Africa's

Graham

Cheers Gra. There is a bewildering array to choose from but being a good fit is high on my list. I'm not set on one bike, but so far it's the most natural and comfy that I have sat on. I'll need to have a spin on some of course, but so far it's the leader for me. People have said Oooh it's a big bike, yes and I'm a big bloke. You should have seen me on the training pad on the 125. Jeez.

Sounds like you'll need space for a bike and kit mate, I'll swing by for the trailer and look after it for you :whistle::whistle:

And, if you're on a tour with others its very handy to have "Bike-to-Bike" communication - which is a whole new can of worms.

I have a 'Starcom Digital' set-up. My Sat Nav is linked to it and my 'phone pairs with the sat nav. Then I have a decent Kenwood PMR radio that sits in a holder with a hard-wired power supply. Volume Control and PTT on the left handlebar and good to go. There are connections for a passenger as well.

My helmet has speakers and a microphone but I prefer 'Speaker-Plugs' (Earplugs with speakers in them). All this plugs in to the side of the helmet and is powered from the bike.

In Turkey, we had 14 bikes, five of us had radio. It was very useful to keep in touch as the pack gets strung out and then people at the back get lost. There is a fair bit of nattering about scenery, vehicles and driving habits as well (Turkey had some amazing drivers :whistle:).

That's another £1,000 for the comms then :shock:.

Bob.

STOP! I'm feeling queasy.

Yes the comms bit is like CB in the truck. Can be deadly boring without a natter and also to shout, Guys, Gary's fallen off again!

I like the idea of speakers in the helmet though. Are they built in by the manufacturer or do you fix them in there yourself from the box of bits?

I like the idea of speakers in the helmet though. Are they built in by the manufacturer or do you fix them in there yourself from the box of bits?

You have to carve out the foam and fit them yourself (a hot glue gun is handy for fixing the wiring along the inside of the shell). Speakers etc are available as kits.

http://www.starcom1.com/motorcycle-bluetooth-accessories.html

Other (inferior) makes are available :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Back