Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What can happen when you hit the barrier

I’ve seen it! :)

And No! After several years of sweat, toil, head scratching and wallet emptying the Cursed Smart Car is not going that way thank you very much. :eusa-snooty:
I’ve seen it! :)

And No! After several years of sweat, toil, head scratching and wallet emptying the Cursed Smart Car is not going that way thank you very much. :eusa-snooty:

Interesting stuff, did better than I expected, they did touch on concerns I had as I watched it, one is that the stiffer shell means more energy transmitted to the passengers, the longer the crumple zone, the less energy the human body has to take. No amount of airbags etc will change that, your looking at things like torn aorta and closed brain injury. It would be interesting to see results from a proper crash test dummy that monitors these things.
My other concern was damage to the lower limbs, which they covered at the end. Your legs would be utterly fucked!

Interesting stuff, did better than I expected, they did touch on concerns I had as I watched it, one is that the stiffer shell means more energy transmitted to the passengers, the longer the crumple zone, the less energy the human body has to take. No amount of airbags etc will change that, your looking at things like torn aorta and closed brain injury. It would be interesting to see results from a proper crash test dummy that monitors these things.
My other concern was damage to the lower limbs, which they covered at the end. Your legs would be utterly fucked!

Asking for protection from a 70-0 mph into concrete is a bit much IMO, but interesting none the less. The car to car impacts are far more important I would think ...

They ate strong. I’ve heard tell of somebody in one that was hit on a roundabout which rolled. It went completely over and rolled back onto its wheels intact.

Asking for protection from a 70-0 mph into concrete is a bit much IMO, but interesting none the less. The car to car impacts are far more important I would think ...

Yeh, they used to test cars by crashing them into concrete blocks, then someone pointed out they don't generally crash head on into concrete blocks, then they started testing them by crashing them into actual cars, then crushable blocks that replicated cars.
These ones did hit slightly oblique which would reduce the impact a bit, it's not actually doing 70-0 in 1 second because the car is deflected sideways which would take a lot of the force out of it. I would hop if I was about to hit the centre reservation I would have lost some speed by the time of the actual impact!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Luck

I got some "why i didn't go to work today" pictures earlier as if to confirm my thoughts , in high speed crashes its usually the secondary impact when the car is traveling well outside of tested parameters that gives us the most serious consequences .

Look at the vid in the first post the top right of the boot took the brunt of the forces at work hence he walked away .

I posted a heavy stainless steel grid/grill i made on the forum once , a deadly object to carry unsecured in the back of a car , but as luck would have it that same grill undoubtedly saved someone's life this week .

2 days in bed and he will be back to work tomorrow , officially it didn't happen , some things never change :lol:

Last edited:
Clive I noticed those weaker front parts of the chassis. I always thought they were to save the ladder chassis in the event you hit a solid object at slow speed. But you could be right for their being there for safety.

Back