Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What power steering fluid?

THL

Country Flag
europe
I'm taking the truck on a run up to Scotland in a few weeks, it has a power steering pump leak (not huge) and wanted to have some extra fluid on board to top up on the journey if it requires. I was going to go with Toyota ATF Dextron 3.

Just needs regular middle shelf ATF/ PS fluid. No extract of mermaid's tears necessary especially if it's pishing out of the system.

No extract of mermaid's tears necessary especially if it's pishing out of the system.

:tearsofjoy:

Thanks! Its more of a constant weep than a torrent so until a rebuild happens I'll just keep it topped up.

In that case, just go with the cheapest possible Dexron 3.

When you get it fixed, I've found that a synt Dex3 keeps better. I.e. doesn't get that burnt smell. That's on a 100-series tho'.

Reactions: THL
With the system in top condition after a pump rebuild, no burning smells should occur. I believe this to be down to a blocked filter on the unloader within the pump. See threads on here.

Reactions: THL
You could always put an egg cup full of brake fluid in, should hold back the leak after a couple of days, then fix at your own convenience.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The usual reason for the leak is overheated burned ATF caused by excess heat being caused by fluid being allowed through tiny gaps where it shouldn’t be going, ie an unloader letting by. If you have a slightly notchy feel to the steering in places the rebuild will probably sort this. Aim to replace the suction hose from the reservoir too. It won’t get any better on your trip but mine was like it for several years before I did the rebuild. Wish I had done it sooner as it wasn’t difficult and made a huge difference to the feel of the steering. I didn’t lose much ATF but Clive had complete loss and potential damage to the pump from running dry. You can’t take a belt off in that scenario, as it’s gear driven.

That Wynn's stuff improved my 80's steering a lot , i need to do a few hundred miles before i'm convinced the leaking has stopped completely but if it has i will just change the fluid and call it fixed .

I put similar stuff in the engine oil too because why wait for a leak when seal conditioner might prevent it altogether . If i can find it for diffs and gearbox that'll get chucked in to , the only thing i won't use is coolant leak stop .

I will be taking the truck out for its first decent run under my ownership tomorrow so the tanks full with Wynns diesel gold fuel system and injector cleaner added , and there's a can of EGR cleaner spray waiting to be used before i set off .

That Wynn's stuff improved my 80's steering a lot , i need to do a few hundred miles before i'm convinced the leaking has stopped completely but if it has i will just change the fluid and call it fixed .

I put similar stuff in the engine oil too because why wait for a leak when seal conditioner might prevent it altogether . If i can find it for diffs and gearbox that'll get chucked in to , the only thing i won't use is coolant leak stop .

I will be taking the truck out for its first decent run under my ownership tomorrow so the tanks full with Wynns diesel gold fuel system and injector cleaner added , and there's a can of EGR cleaner spray waiting to be used before i set off .
Sticking plasters Shayne. Sticking plasters. :eusa-naughty:
Good luck with the EGR cleaner. Here’s hoping you don’t bust the lands off the pistons eh. :?

Its been sat unused for years Rich which makes seals suffer but i won't assume it needs fixed until i get to know the truck .

Snake oil or preventative maintenance its less than £50 and can do no harm .

Ahh, now I see. Yes, that makes sense.

I use the Lucas Power steering Leak stop and usually lasts about a year.

Brake fluid.

Brake fluid in disguise. :icon-biggrin:

I use the Lucas Power steering Leak stop and usually lasts about a year.

Same brake fluid different disguise. :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

If it cleans the EGRs/inlet tract it will bust the engine. So you'll have lovely clean EGRs you can put on ebay. Someone on here did that party trick and he was a highly qualified engine bloke.

Thanks for all the info!

Its had the leak for at least 5 years with no notched feel to the steering, however now I know its leaking its bothering me.

Back