Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What REALLY not to do

:shock:

I wonder if he used the tow bar before he repaired it??

OMG they were lucky nobody was killed. :o

I wish people didn't try recovery when they have no experience or knowledge of what they are doing. Winching with no sail. Joining strops with a shackle. letting people walk around the trucks as its happening. Some very lucky people there :twisted:

That would have been a entry for the Darwin awards if anything had gone wrong!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The best thing that I can say about that is the quality of the picture. This is wrong in so many ways (that we all know) that it defies belief. Unfortunately in every sport / hobby etc there are those who just dive in thinking that it looks great and there's nothing to it. I shoot and I have seen people on more than one memorable occasion whom I would simply have had thrown out and their firearms cut in two.

These people are a menace and the sorts of off road place such as here are a breeding ground for them. OK I generalise perhaps, but I think you know what I mean.

At no point is anyone actually sounding concerned. Sounds like Doncaster, but the behaviour look like Toms Farm!

Chris

Im sure the man with the camera is one of the chuckle brothers :lol:

To me to you

have you been through the other vids :shock:

Joe

I'm personally glad I've done some winch training. It isn't only for my own protection.

Broken tow rope 'like slingshot', killing boy in back seat

Addison Yates was sitting in the back seat of a four-wheel-drive bogged in bushland mud when the hook of the tow rope being used to pull them free came loose, catapulting through the rear window like a slingshot at a speed of up to 160kmh.

The hook hit the 14-year-old boy in the head, killing him.

Details emerged today of the tragedy, which occurred outside Hervey Bay on Sunday evening.

Addison Yates. Fraser Coast Chronicle

Addison had been 'bush bashing' with two mates when they became bogged on a sodden dirt track in the Vernon Conservation Park, in Walligan.

Four friends in two other 4WDs tried to haul the vehicle out of the mud.

Addison's friends, believed to be aged between 17 and 21, connected the three 4WDs together in a convoy with snatch straps.

The region had been soaked with rain earlier in the day, but the rain continued to fall as the group tried to reverse the bogged vehicle out of the mud on Dundowran Road.

Addison sat in the back seat, facing backwards to watch the action.

But the group had underestimated the tension two vehicles would place on the towing straps.

Detective Sergeant Bruce Hodgins said the force was so great on one strap the metal hook was sheared off the tow bar and catapulted back towards Addison.

"It acted like a slingshot," Sergeant Hodgins said.

"The two vehicles put an unbelievable pressure on the strap. There was also incredible pressure on the middle vehicle.

"The hook bolts couldn't take the pressure."

The tow strap used was designed to bear a load of five tonnes, but the two vehicles created a load of about seven tonnes, Sergeant Hodgins estimated.

He said Addison and his friends often went bush bashing and were not unfamiliar with the terrain in the reserve.

"Did his friends act irresponsibly? No," the police office said.

"Did they underestimate the force of the two vehicles? Yes."

Queensland University of Technology physicists Stephen Hughes and John Barry estimated the hook would have catapulted through the rear windscreen of the 4WD at between 100 and 160kmh.

However Dr Hughes, a medical physicist, said the force would not need to be great to cause fatal head injuries.

"Even the slightest bump on the head can be fatal," he said.

"The person in this case would have suffered severe brain damage if they had not died."

Emergency crews waded through chest-deep water in a flooded creek to reach the group after searching for them for hours.

"It took some time for police and ambulance crews to get to him," Sergeant Hodgins said.

"[Addison's friends] offered what assistance they could, but they realised there was little hope."

Addison was the son of Hervey Bay Pastor Darryn Yates, who operates the Church by the Bay and a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre. A widower, Pastor Yates runs the centre with his new wife, Jill, after Addison's mother Dianne died.

Friends and family expressed their grief and disbelief on social networking site Facebook yesterday.

"He was such a kind and giving person. Why did he have to die?" one friend wrote.

Anther said: "He was the nicest kid. Man you are goin' (sic) to be missed so much."

Sergeant Hodgins said the tragedy served as a warning to others planning to go four-wheel-driving in the holiday season.

"This could have happened to anyone, anywhere," he said.

"It could have been a mother, or a very young child sitting in that seat."

He recommended training courses in towing bogged vehicles to help prevent future accidents.

I've heard of something very similar happening in the UK where a woman was killed in the back of a Land Rover. I can't remember where or when though.

I'm appalled, not only that the perpetrators thought it was the right thing to do, but that it's still available for everyone to view and think that must be the way to do things! No wonder 4x4 insurance gets expensive!

I can just see the claim form now ...

No bridles either - wonder what the chassis end final deviation is :)

The problem is being created by too much throttle and too little brain.

You simply don't get into such a situation when you idle your way through a mudhole.
If it has got decent traction it will go through it without a problem.
If not it simply comes to a stop and you can often drive out backwards with just a pair of waffle boards.

Gunning it provides great youtube footage, and sounds like a great idea. But also lodges the vehicle firmly into the greatest of all suction devices. MUD.

Not to comment on the highly educational Value of these youtube vids.

I am amazed these LR designed vehicles simply don't break in half?!?!?
And truly know now the ultimate purpose of a LR engineered vehicle.
TARGET PRACTICE!!!

Have a nice XMAS break!!!

pugwash said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtuO-Mh9Lg&feature=related
In the comments some say a chain is better, but others say this is more dangerous. It's my understanding that a chain snapping under load simply drops (ignoring any other force on the chain like it now whipping through the air because it's being pulled very fast). Confirm? Can of worms?

It was the 4x4 people who needed the crash helmets more than the bikers. I worked on a farm for 2 years and we always used to use a long chain. Snatching a stuck vehicle can work. I've brocken many chains, even recently and they have never flown around. There is no spring or potential energy tied up in them. They usually snap and fall to the ground very undramatically. I've never had any formal training so don't take my word for it. I take the view that if in doubt go way over the top on safety margins.

Frank

Scarey :shock: :!: Really SCAREY :shock: :shock: :shock: :!:

:think: :think: :think: Maybe we should look into a club bulk purchase of winch sails/blankets :)

I have seen that first video in the past & always thought that the chap doing the video was just an onlooker :) Each time a conversation about this subject comes up I consider buying myself a winch sail/blanket but never get around to it :roll: I did do some research on them & have read about all kinds of home made versions & different ways of weighting them. Some come with a couple of bits of 10mm plate in them for weight & others lead shot & some with pockets for you to put your own weight in before using them :? Not sure what the best shape size or method of weighting is but one thing I do think would be sensible would be to have two of them splitting the recovery rope/winch cable into thirds :)

I think I remember reading that the AWDC give a minimun weight for a winch sail to be used in competition of 1kg :) Maybe the AWDC is a good place to start for information about them before looking @ what is available :)

Any AWDC members out there :?:

Back