Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When the throttle got stuck on the M6

This can happen to you - my story..........

I had a near-sH1t-myself experience on the M6 the day I bought my Cruiser.

Driving merely at 70 I overtook a Lorry going up to about 85 in the process. When i got back in the middle lane the truck would not slow down. Took my foot of the pedal but it kept on accelerating..faster and faster.......... i was on 90 now and still going! First thought was the pedal got stuck thus kicked it a few times - no luck............doing 95 now

Engine revving hard!! Speed increasing by the second, then tried the brakes - no help, kicked the pedal - no change just keep on going ........100 coming up !!

Coming up quickly to a few cars - went around them and then pulled into nearside lane!

Time for action - thinking back to episode of Magnum PI - - engaged neutral - engine screeming now then switched the engine off ....turn on the hazzards and cruised onto the hard shoulder and came to a stop!

Looked around the engine bay with nothing obvious wrong - no tools on me thus quick phone call to the RAC and awaited the cavalry.

RAC man arrived - stumped! He was just about to get the flatbed out when i spotted something. After checking the linkage with the pump and choke I found a hexbolt that vibrated loose where it fixed the throttle flange to the side of the engine block.

I worked it out : While I was accellerating earlier this hex-fixing-bolt vibrated loose outwards and got caught behind the swivel flange with cable on the throttle. Thus not being able to return to the beginning/zero position it got stuck when i was doing about 90 and stayed there..........

Screwed the bolt back in and problem solved! New pants for me and all sorted!

This could happen to you guys as well - be prepared or loc-tite the bastard bolt in advance!

Happy driving!

:shock: I'd have bailed out before Muxley got to an 'undred...

Nasty . . I'm glad you got out of it safely :thumbup: .

Its the sort of incident you never forget . . .

Many, many years ago I foolishly bought a 1.8 Marina Estate to which someone had fitted a twin carb conversion with 'pancake' air cleaners.

It was fast (for the mid-1970s).

Going down the M6 to spend Christmas with my folks in Somerset, in slush & snow, I overtook a lorry.

The car kept getting faster and faster, hooking the throttle pedal with my toe didn't do any good :shock: .

I pulled off the motorway into a Service Station at about 85+, turned off the ignition and went broadside across the car park in the slush (roads were quieter back then :thumbup: ).

As I got out, I heard the 'clatter' of the throttle assembly dropping back into place.

Carburettor icing ! Those air cleaners weren't picking up enough warm air from the engine :roll:

It happened again, but I was ready for it the next time.

I didn't keep that car long - I traded it in for a Humber Estate (another bad move :roll: ).

So you are not alone. Maybe its something to do with the M6 :lol:

Bob.

:o It's the sort of scary moment that could turn into a total disaster, particularly on a road as congested as the notorious M6. Phew. Lucky escape.

Cheers for the comments lads! :thumbup:

It was a sigh of relief as my (00) dropped back into position again :dance:

STAY CALM AND CARRY ON....

Glad you are alright, and at least in a few years you can laugh about it when you tell the story over and over again.

In 1968 and the grand old age of 18, i was a mechanic at a Ford agent. The boss called me in to say he wanted me to go out on a breakdown. I took my tools and flask of hot tea in the ex-army boneshaker and went about 5 miles to find a little old lady (About 70) on the side of the road in tears just after a slight bend. Her sit up and beg Ford Pop with a tiny side valve engine, with a Max speed about 35mph on the verge.

I asked her what had happened and she said sniffling, and i quote word for word "It w w w went went round the, the, the, corner like a a a monster gone wild......" and burst into tears again.

I had a look and the throttle spring had come off at the carb. I fixed it but there was no way she would drive it again. She then sat there and proceeded to drink all my tea.

After about a hour she had calmed down and i convinced her it would be OK when she smiled at me and said, and i quote word for word again,

"Maybe you could fix a toilet roll holder on the dash just in case it does it again"

I cracked up and will never forget her and hope she at least made you smile :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Birder said:
Glad you are alright, and at least in a few years you can laugh about it when you tell the story over and over again.

I cracked up and will never forget her and hope she at least made you smile :D

In stitches!! :lol:

Nice one!! :clap:

Back