Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which anti-rust paint?

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I know we've been over the various waxoyl / dinitrol treatments lots of times already but this is slightly different. I want to re-paint some parts on my 'new' 80 with a direct to metal / rust type coating (paint essentially). Jon has done a fantastic job so far but the 80 now lives in Scotland and conditions can get a tad more extreme!

I've used Hammerite smooth with ok results so far and am familiar with that. Research has also chucked up POR15 and EPOXY-MASTIC as two alternatives. Anyone used any of these on under-body bits like chassis rails, steering gear, springs, and more visible bits like bumpers and under-body panels?

Anything else I should consider that is essentially a paint that doesn't need to be painted over once applied and that comes in satin black and something very similar to the 'grey opal' of the body?

Cheers

When i worked in the labs we did a comparison on this Rust Oleum 2185 Hard Hat Cold Galvanising Zinc Aerosol Metal Spray with a real galvinised metal and this came out very well.
I think you can get differrent colours as well.

Stu

Forget about por15, i've heard, although i haven't tried it - reading forums made me stay away.

RustBullet works well. Their "automotive" product is silverish in coulour, and they also have black or white topcoat, but it can be painted over with anything you like. It is extremely strong - doesn't chip. Just make sure all oil/fat is cleaned off before application. There is a "Metal Blast" which does a good job with preparing the surface. Requires a dry surface, and a not too cold and not too damp day (Reacts with water - and therefore binds the remnant water in the rust, but too much humidity in the air makes it weaker, according to my experience. rustbulletuk.com

There is also the Owatrol oil, which hardens, and can be painted over. Easy to use wherever and whenever. www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/owatrol-oil/

I all my years on trawlers i never seen anything last better than international paints all in one primer/undercoat , they do satin black to i painted my fuel tank guard with it about a year ago .

Have used Aquasteel all under mine, after cleaning everything down (loose rust/grease etc). Looks like thick runny milk, if that makes sense, dries satin black, can be left as is or over painted. I did three coats and left it. mot man commented how good it looked. Is used on oil rigs, - google for pictures and info.

John

Good recommendation from Shayne. If it works on a trawlerman's bottom it should be good for anything. I used to use Rustoleum many years ago in industry. It has fish oil in it. Worked very well in aggressive conditions. I find Hammerite just falls off after a bit. The galvanising spray though really does seem to work like a charm. Not just as undercoat either. The milky stuff is liek magic on really rusty stuff but I find that it tends to peel off after a bit. Most of all though I think the best results I have had is when you do any of this stuff in warm weather!

But as always prep is the key.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All good recommendations here.. as a couple of replies have said..

Good preparation is needed with any rust treatment. To remove all loose rust and take as close to shiny metal as possible. Coating over loose rust and pitting will seal the rust under the treatment product. Then the rust prevention product will lift off later on.

Have done a lot of rust removal recently.. hate the stuff!! But a very worthwhile exercise if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time. :thumbup:

I bought a needle gun. That shifts the rust like no one's business.

Intending to do some (long overdue) rust treatment on my truck this Summer - so watching this thread with interest. :thumbup:

I bought a needle gun. That shifts the rust like no one's business.

Sounds ideal Chris! These 80 axles have some very difficult areas to get to.. is it run by air?

Once you start its difficult to leave even a small patch!:think:

So Chris that response is absolutely useless without pictures ...

I must admit I had to google "needle gun", as I had no idea what it was........

Great tools and it would probably make cleaning an axle fun - if the axle was removed :think:

That milky stuff Chris,- there are a few, kure rust is one I believe I have used before, and you are right it is shite, and peels. Aquasteel is the same in colour only
As Iwan said, prep is everything, no loose rust and definately no grease, - a summer job thats for sure - unless you have a a cosy man cave.

John

Yes it's air powered.
Gary what on earth would I post a picture of? It's a needle gun. Or de-scaler. It's vicious and good in hard to reach places. Gives and excellent key for paint.

Cheers John I will check out Aquasteel.

It's a stack of welding rod sized solid sticks that reciprocate with a hammer action. The needles do wear down eventually but you just screw another set on. It's like a peening action. Really it should be perpendicular to the work, but I see people using it at an angle which isn't as effective as the furtherest needles then have no pressure on them. They can be hellish noisy but they blast rust off in seconds.

Back