Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which anti-rust paint?

Short controlled bursts. Don't use on bodywork. Take breaks, wear gloves, eye protection and ear muffs. Do it when the neighbours are out.

Damn i just remembered i was gonna take a pic today of a 60+ year old metal gate that i gave a quick once over with a handheld wire brush and painted with International must be getting on for 10 years ago now . Hope it does still look good now i've mentioned it :shock:

I generally feel that one part anything is not as good as two or 3 stage stuff . Hammerite paint is a good example it sticks and goes hard but i always found that in reality all it does is provide a skin to hide whats going on underneath , certainly on boats i've stuck a knife into a suspect area painted with hammerite to see rusty water pour out .

My experience, and what I can see in the movie, is that only the flakes of rust being removed with a needle gun. You won't get it down to bare metal right?

I mostly use a fine meshed wire brush on a 12k rpm grinder. (Not the one you see in the picture. That's a brush with thicker, twisted wires)

IMG_20150106_120933.jpg

IMG_20150106_145256.jpg

As coating I'm using Brantho-Korrux. This is paint that's tolerant to left over debris or rust and has good adhesion to for example the bottom of a body where the original coating is still more or less in tact.
On all parts I apply three thick layers.

http://cruiserworld.eu/parts/60-series/accessories?prod_id=123538

Last edited:
You have to be kidding. Leave it long enough and it will clean right through to the other side. Yes it fetches off flakes very quickly but then it peens the metal too. I also use a Turk's Head knotted brush (cup style rather than flat) and very good they are too, but they can sometime just polish over things and don't always rip off lumps. The needle gun is really good for awkward places.

Personally I would not use a needle gun on the flange and backing plates that you are showing there. I'd use a brush too. But for heavy rust, the NG is the medicine that's for sure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back