Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which battery for a jump start

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
On an 80 series two battery set-up, which one should you connect jump leads to, does it make any difference :confusion-confused:

The reason I ask is because on the way back from Croatia I needed a few jump starts and I had always thought the one on the drivers side was the one to use, but no matter how long we left the donor vehicle running to hopefully put a bit of electrickery into mine it just would not start, :think: but when we tried the passenger side one it fired up instantly :thumbup:

Gary Stockton said:
Perhaps the pax battery is fully knackered and not holding charge?
That was my first thought, but no, both batteries were taken out, fully charged, load tested at my local auto LX and both passed with flying colours :thumbup:

See here...

I had the same problem (only starting when connecting to Pas side)... but mine was a dud battery, probably caused by a fault somewhere (planning for an electrical overhaul soon, to be on the safe side!)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not safe to jumpstart via the passenger side battery. :naughty:

Due to the 12v/24V starter relay, during starting, the passenger battery is connected in series with the drivers battery, which means the negative terminal voltage becomes 12 Volts (instead of 0 Volts or earth) and the positive terminal becomes 24 Volts (only when you're batteries are both in good order, when you've got a failing battery you're obviously not going to see full voltage).

If you connected the negative jumplead to earth, e.g. the engine lifting lug or a point on the chassis, this would be safer but it's still not a good idea, as a minimum you're risking the starter relay & wiring, let alone what you could backfeed to the jumper battery. :shock:

Brett said:

Yeah - I know that NOW!... :mrgreen:

Fortunately no harm done...

Brett said:
Due to the 12v/24V starter relay, during starting, the passenger battery is connected in series with the drivers battery, which means the negative terminal voltage becomes 12 Volts (instead of 0 Volts or earth) and the positive terminal becomes 24 Volts (only when you're batteries are both in good order, when you've got a failing battery you're obviously not going to see full voltage).
If you connected the negative jumplead to earth, e.g. the engine lifting lug or a point on the chassis, this would be safer but it's still not a good idea, as a minimum you're risking the starter relay & wiring, let alone what you could backfeed to the jumper battery. :shock:
I can see what you mean, but how do you explain my situation when the car wouldn't start when jumped from the drivers side battery but did from the passenger side and both batteries were then taken out, fully charged and load tested at my local auto LX and both passed OK, so that would preclude one of the batteries being duff :confusion-confused:

If your batteries were drop tested & they are ok I would guess at a fault in the starting system, unfortunately you can't guess where it is, you need to check everything (wiring, relays, connectors, earths etc.)

The starter motor has now been replaced by the spare I had and the problem hasn't occured again so that may have been it, mind you with the jump start the original motor turned over fine?

Back