Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring speedo!

revs4x4

looks like my speedo cable is on its last legs. Hit about 40 and it starts making an almighty whirrrrring noise:icon-confused: from the back of the instrument pod, needle then looks like its got the shakes!!
I recall reading somewhere that the connection of the speedo cable to the instrument pod can wear out???

any ideas before I start stripping? .............the speedo cable that is...not me!:oops::oops::lol:

Revs.

Sounds similar to what my speedo cable did before it snapped. :thumbdown:

Toyota wanted £80 for a new one. :doh:

Remove the inner and check it for lubricant. If necessary, use a standard grease, NEVER oil.

Roger

Cheers Roger, I'll have a look when I get a chance........Ben, I dont fancy paying 80 quid for a new one!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Dunno if it would be any good for a speedo cable but B&Q now sell copper grease in a spray can . I only ever used it on brakes before but now i use it on all sorts its good stuff .

Cheers. Anyone with any thoughts about coppergrease in a can? Roger?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers. Anyone with any thoughts about coppergrease in a can? Roger?

Not a good idea. Copper grease will dry out and congeal. This is the last thing you need. Copper grease is used for high heat applications such as the backs of brake pads.

Roger

I used to use a spray can of bicycle brake cable grease on landy speedo cables and my motorcycle clutch cable when it was partially seized after heavy rain/dust.
It was also had a penetrating effect so would clear and lube.
Don't know if anything like it is still on the market?
And Roger is right, copper grease does dry out, don't know about the spray can version but I would be reluctant to use it for a spinning cable.
you would probably be better off using petroleum jelly (vaseline) to lube the cable after cleaning it, and the casing.

I used to use a spray can of bicycle brake cable grease on landy speedo cables and my motorcycle clutch cable when it was partially seized after heavy rain/dust.
It was also had a penetrating effect so would clear and lube.
Don't know if anything like it is still on the market?
And Roger is right, copper grease does dry out, don't know about the spray can version but I would be reluctant to use it for a spinning cable.
you would probably be better off using petroleum jelly (vaseline) to lube the cable after cleaning it, and the casing.

Vaseline is not strictly a lubricant. As normal grease is readily available, I would suggest it's use would be longer lasting.

Roger

Back