Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Will UK improve - Olympic content

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Well, now that UK have the Olympics on "home soil" will there be an advantage.

Will UK be able to will more medals having the games in London?
2008 Olympics here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/201 ... /countries

How does one measure "how good a country is"?

Do we just look at Gold medals, as "no one remembers the second's and third's of the world.
or do we just look at golds?

Is it true that , " it's not the winning, but the taking part that counts" (bullshit)

If I was a world class top athlete, then if I wasn't defiantly going to win a gold, then I would spit out the dummy, and not play.

Gra.

Graham said:
Is it true that , " it's not the winning, but the taking part that counts" (bullshit)
If I was a world class top athlete, then if I wasn't defiantly going to win a gold, then I would spit out the dummy, and not play.
Gra.

That's effectively saying you're afraid of loosing, isn't it? If everyone thought like that then there would be no competition and would make sport one of the most boring things on earth. :?

Yes, I'm sure the "favourites" think and believe they can win but they certainly aren't 100% sure.....how can they be? It's sport after all, anything can happen on the day. That's what makes it exciting IMHO. :cool:

The only sport I take part in is archery, I've won so far, four awards, one was a doubles match and I had a very good partner, the other three I won because I'm not that good yet and my handicap allowed me an advantage.
Winning is very nice but it's not why I do it, I just enjoy doing it. :thumbup:

I would think there are both those that go to the games believing that they will win and those that do it for the sake of taking part and representing your country.

I was watching some game yesterday, the British team was ranked 92nd in the world but were playing another team ranked in the top 10. GB gave them a bit of a wake up call though. Does a team who is ranked 92 really believe they will come first? I would think they they they really believe they will do better than last year.

Back