Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

winch advice

roy

Country Flag
scotland
i am looking for advice on what sort and size of winch would good for a lwb colorado ?

it is not going to be used regularly so need it to be relaible to just use as and when needed.

i am going to make a mount/bumper so want to get the winch first and size the mount from that.

any help as i have no experience with winches.

cheers roy

No question. Goodwinch. TDS 9500i Goldfish. With Dyneema rope pack added.

Waits for incoming fire .......... :violence-swords:

Chris

they're pretty hard to argue against from a value point of view

was marshalling at the Mad Monks winch challenge this weekend- all of the teams were running Goldfishes as centre winches, and one or two had them as rear winches- and these things gets abused- lots of mud and water, and a LOT of use.

of course if you want performance you're looking at a warn 8274, but they will easily cost you 3-4 times the price- and tha'ts before you start on the gigglepin upgrades (and yes a fully upgraded gigglepin winch with twin motors, upgraded main shaft etc will cost you over £4.5k eeek!)

Chris said:
No question. Goodwinch. TDS 9500i Goldfish. With Dyneema rope pack added.

Waits for incoming fire .......... :violence-swords:

Chris

All I would add to that is do not get one without the "bridge", then you can remote mount the solenoid.

Paul

got the same winch on our 78 .....

what David Bowyer doesn't know ain't worth talking about (just make sure you're sitting comfortably if you phone them) :lol:

oh ... echo what Paul says :thumbup: :thumbup:

AFAIK the 12k & 9.5k only differ in gearing, so same motors, drum, casing etc. One goes faster (9.5k) and the other can pull harder (12k). There are differing opinions on here if a 9.5k is enough but for a 90 it might be.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello all,

Just a little prospecting here.
What would the ball park cost for the Goodwinch 12,000 be?

I think the 12,000 would be more suited to the 5 door as opposed to the 9,500 for the 3 door.

G.

I would say 9500 is fine for a 90, but a 12,000 is a must for a 80 series, unless you want to double line it.

Paul

As a note:- the 12,000 does not fit the front chassis of the 75 I learnt this the hrd way!!!

Sorry, I have the 9500i on my 80 and it's never even been close to struggling. We've had this debate already so let's not do it all over again. :roll:

We had a disco stuck recently, like I mean concreted in. The chap snapped his rope 6 times trying to pull himself out. I hooked on, with my back end to an oak tree. Well I was just reeling myself in before that. I hit 'in' and just let it wind. I'm honestly not sure where all the reeling was going, 'cos neither of us seemed to be moving. But the motor never changed note. It just pulled and pulled. The bow wave of solid mud eventually broke over his bonnet and bit by bit he came out. I really can't imagine having to pull any harder than that. It was actually compressing the suspension on mine. It pulled me down into the mud so deep that I had to winch myself out afterwards - and that's with Insas on. We were all expecting a massive twang. The way that people talk you'd think that the 9500 was some sort of weakling. I've had 3 now and never had to double one yet. And you lads know me, the 'stucker' the better.

On a 90 for occasional use, a 9500 will be absolutely fine. I like the 9500i with the contacts in the bridge. They are tidier and you can hide the remote inside the casing. They look neater and you only have to deal with two wires. I really don't like the way that the solenoid pack is held on with two big jubilee clips. Once, one of the clips touched the live terminal and burned out when I was using it. On a Colorado, there aren't so many places to put the contactor pack if it's not in the bridge.

Chris

Thats amazing tht Chris.
I really would have liked to have been there to see it.

Graham

I have the 12k and it struggled the first real chance it had to prove itself, that's why I said there are different opinions on here. We'll have to set something up at Lincomb and find out if David sold you a special 9.5 or me a sub standard 12 :)

Jon, I know that you have struggled with yours and mindful that this perhaps colours your view of these winches. As I said, I have had three. One is still in Lil Blue, one was rebuilt after the fire and one new one in the winch bumper. All have been spot on. I have had times where I have run out of things to attach to because I have been so stuck and ended up pulling them all out of the ground. Boulders, trees etc. At Tom's farm I reeled in a disco and a defender that were roped together with the wheels spinning trying to pull me out. In the end the thermal trip did go that time. That was single line pull.

I thought you'd found that the tail of the rope wasn't secured to the drum? This was when you tried to get up the hill at Lincomb. I swear I could lift mine off the ground if there was an anchor point high enough. Hey, maybe I could be right for once and you should have had the 9.5 :lol: :lol:

Yeah, well it sounded right when I said it.

Chris

The 1st time I used it the rope detached itself, so I wasn't impressed with that and I was already less than impressed that the tie bars went rusty after a couple of months, and then the last time at Lincomb when I blew a CV it struggled to pull me up the hill and I had to drive assist to stop it stalling :roll: So far it has lived down to my expectations of an electric winch :violin:

I do try Paul. Maybe these cruisers are just too good.. Perhaps if I take a wheel off?

Chris

Jon Wildsmith said:
We'll have to set something up at Lincomb and.....

Yep, great idea. Would go some way to putting the debate to rest I think. :twisted: :thumbup:

Lorin said:
Jon Wildsmith said:
We'll have to set something up at Lincomb and.....

Yep, great idea. Would go some way to putting the debate to rest I think. :twisted: :thumbup:

Your wish is our command!! One winch stage coming up!! :violence-duel:

Ian

Back