Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

winch advice

Jon Wildsmith said:
purely for research of course :lol:

Of course. How about we use my winch to set a time and then award points depending how close you get? 100 penalty points if your motor or solenoids burn out :twisted:

Ian

:lol: I was just going to pick one of the steep hills and experiment with single and double line pulls with and without brakes on :) I know what that little 10k Ox could do so I want to see if this 12k can match it. If Chris is up for doing the same with his 9.5k then we could get a good idea how they compare.

I am sure we can arrange a load for you to pull, that way it will be as equal as possible. Would be interesting to do a chart for all who are interested to see. Our own little comparison of all winches at the event. Does anyone have one of those clamp on ammeters we could borrow (do they work on DC amps or only AC?)? Mine will be pulling about 2 amps :lol:

Ian

Pulling a load would be good for comparing the different winches on hand but I also want to recreate a tough real world pull for personal comparison with previous winching situations - steep hill with the truck sitting on its axles :) (I'll make do with putting the brakes on on a steep hill :lol: )

Jon Wildsmith said:
Pulling a load would be good for comparing the different winches on hand but I also want to recreate a tough real world pull for personal comparison with previous winching situations - steep hill with the truck sitting on its axles :) (I'll make do with putting the brakes on on a steep hill :lol: )

The only way to meaningfully compare the winches is for the load and route to be the same for all winch pulls. Definitely not much 'real-world' validity in all the winches using different loads. Perhaps your truck Jon with the brakes on could be the load for all winch pulls..? Then we'd see.....

Otherwise I am happy to donate one moderately loaded 80 which I will fully lock and leave in gear. Everyone can then have a go at pulling it up a nice steep, rutted hill :twisted:

Ian Rubie said:
I am sure we can arrange a load for you to pull, that way it will be as equal as possible. Would be interesting to do a chart for all who are interested to see. Our own little comparison of all winches at the event. Does anyone have one of those clamp on ammeters we could borrow (do they work on DC amps or only AC?)? Mine will be pulling about 2 amps :lol:

Ian

For those of us thinking of buying a winch a comparison chart would be spot-on :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the offer of your truck Lorin but don't forget we are on a farm, I am sure a suitably heavy lump of machinery can find its way into the woods for the weekend :shh:

Ian

Lorin said:
The only way to meaningfully compare the winches is for the load and route to be the same for all winch pulls.
Definitely and it sounds like we can arrange for this to happen. My 'real world' test is to check if the winch I have has enough power to recover my truck from situations I think it should without letting the magic smoke escape :)

If too many electric winches have a go we might have to build a magic smoke containment device :lol:

personally i'm a hydro man- had a home built system using an mahoosive pump on the back of an lt230, that kicked arse compared to a type R

BUT

having seen goldfishes used in competition they are extremely impressive

yes they aren't an 8274, but they beat stuff like a 9000xp hands down

would still go for the 12,000lb jobbie if you aren't that concerned about speed (oh and at 8,5000lb a 12,000lb winch will probably be quicker!)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Lorin said:
The only way to meaningfully compare the winches is for the load and route to be the same for all winch pulls.
Definitely and it sounds like we can arrange for this to happen. My 'real world' test is to check if the winch I have has enough power to recover my truck from situations I think it should without letting the magic smoke escape :)

Jon, a 12000 will be ok on yours. I do not do getting stuck, but when I do I get very stuck. I have not had a problem with mine and my 80 comes in at about 3.5T. The only time I have very stuck it took my winch and a 9000lb winch to get me out, both winches were doubleb lined :shock: . Every other time I have been ok with a single line on my own.

I can not remember it now, but there is a way to work out how more "drag/weight" you need to add when the car/4x4/lorry is stuck in verying grounds, you add a % for every inch into the ground. I use to work it out when doing recovery work. 2 of out lorrys had 2 35T winched each.

Paul

I don't get out much these days Paul so needing the services of a winch doesn't happen very often at all, averaging about once a year at the moment, which is why I'm even trying an electric winch, much simpler than holding out for a hydraulic solution but it still has to get the job done. If it does then I'll be plenty happy to see that the cheap solution is good enough :thumbup: it just doesn't have a good track record with me so far hence the low expectations. It's been on the truck nearly 2 years, hardly used, not serviced at all, lets see what happens at Lincomb and post the results :)

Hi Guys,

Just catching up with whats happening at Lincomb, :lol: , So I have been sorting out a spot for a touch of non competitive winching. Got a great one, and Jon W is popping over on saturday to check it out. :thumbup:

A spot also for a winch comparo. I do have the 4wd action magazine results as well for their massive winch comparo, just cant find the mag at the mo!! From what i remember they are quite interesting.

Just to say also that all ideas are welcome, thanks for putting this one forward, will be a good addition to the weekends. Plenty of straps may be neccessary, ;)

Cheers,

TonyS said:
I do have the 4wd action magazine results as well for their massive winch comparo, just cant find the mag at the mo!! From what i remember they are quite interesting.
According to your DVD's that should be issue 159 :)

Thanks,Jon, yes it is, but I cant find 159 or 160. Gotta make a few calls!!

Mixed results from testing Chris's 9.5k and my 12k Goldfish winches. We used a pretty steep slope and a single line pull with no drive assist to test:

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

The clearest result was that Chris's 9.5k had no trouble pulling his 80 up that slope so bearing in mind it was a single pull leaving the option of using a snatch block you'd have to say the 9.5k has enough power. My 12k also had no trouble pulling up the slope, as you'd expect, until the voltage dropped so low half way up the solenoids were clicking on and off so I had to keep stopping to 'rest' the batteries. I'll have them drop tested soon but it's pretty disappointing that a pair of batteries that perform well in all other respects are inadequate for this winch on a very short pull :( Chris doesn't have a voltage readout (other than the OEM guestimate meter) so we have no way of comparing voltages to see if he came anywhere near the same issue. They seemed to pull at similar speeds once on the slope except for when mine was resting with Chris's maybe a bit faster but again not knowing his voltages makes a meaningful comparison impossible.

I checked the motor casing temperatures with an IR thermometer once the trucks were back at the bottom of the hill and mine was @ 75c and Chris's was 102c although he did winch a bit further. It would be useful to know what the upper limit DB would recommend is or when the thermal cut out will start working? It was a steep hill but quite a short distance so I hope it's significantly higher than the readings I recorded.

I think Chris has used his without solenoid issues so far but spooling my rope back onto the drum afterwards the solenoids were very intermittent (voltages were fine again by this point) so it seems they are toast after just 3 uses and will have to be replaced.

In conclusion, Chris's just got on with it and got the job done without any fuss and mine got the job done eventually but doesn't inspire confidence in its dependability :|

Couple of things to add - solenoid is definitely foobar spooling in so I've ordered Allbright replacements from GW that claim "special large contacts for heavy duty use", we'll see. Also, while browsing the GW web site I came across DB recommending that you should let the motor cool down if you can't hold your thumb on the casing so the recommended operating temperature is quite low then really.

Following on again, later we tried Crispin's little car up there too.

Have to say that being almost entirely plastic, it flew up. Waaay faster then either Jon or I and the motor was barely warm. That's a 9.5 too.

Mind you he did sneakily try to lighten it a bit more by leaving the back door open so that everything flew out onto the ground. :naughty:

Chris

Lol! I thought him getting out would have lightened the load plenty :) :) :)

Damn I wish I had said that. But then let him without poundage cast the first doughnut.

As they say.

C

Back