Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch install in stock bumper, also to keep me busy during winter

Firewout

Garage
Country Flag
belgium
For my birthday, my lovely wife gave me a nice winch for her truck.
A Superwinch Tigershark 11500.
DSCN2984-1999.jpg

I still had some flat steel left after I build our house. Time to get welding !

DSCN2979-1199.jpg

at this stage, all the holes correspond with the holes in the frame....but I already had to use the spreader because some things started pulling the wrong way.
some more welding done :
DSCN2986-1999.jpg

DSCN2987-1999.jpg

Time to cut a hole in the bumper :
DSCN2981-1199.jpg

DSCN2980-1199.jpg

Bumper has seen some action already.

Great Job looks professional and well out together for a sleek look.

I had a similar setup previously from the old owner and a cover for the front bumper. Since repaired it all and welded the hole back together again before spraying.

Nice job. Your certainly keeping out of trouble this winter!
i cheated and cut a universal winch basket to width, then welded angle iron on. Fits behind the stock bumper like yours.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its a great thing to have. Mine hides behind a square number plate thats held on with magnets.
That's the sort of thing I wanted to do.
I did have another, not completely formed idea though.

That is to have a winch, possibly under body mounted (not sure on this as there would likely be issues with rope winding) with the rope run out to a stowed and firmly anchored but removable snatch block then out, through a super smooth tube to the other end of the vehicle (possibly alongside or even through the chassis rails :shifty:) with the hook on the other end through a fairlead and again anchored with a removable pin. That way there's a 2:1 reduction in one direction (whether desirable or not) and a single or more pull in the other, all on one winch. Both forward and reverse.

Tube routing, rope winding and winch positioning are the main challenges.

Last edited:
That is to have a winch, possibly under body mounted (not sure on this as there would likely be issues with rope winding) with the rope run out to a stowed and firmly anchored butvremovable snatch block then out, through a super smooth tube to the other end of the vehicle (possibly alongside or even through the chassis rails :shifty:) with the hook on the other end through a fairlead and again anchored with a removable pin. That way there's a 2:1 reduction in one direction (whether desirable or not) and a single or more pull in the other on one winch. Both forward and reverse.

Tube routing rope winding and winch positioning are the main challenges.

I see what you mean. The hydraulic Rotzler winches on our fire trucks are constructed that way.

Nice neat job, can't beat a discreet winch. I've got a removable plate on top of the bumper to access the freespool lever too.

That's the sort of thing I wanted to do.
I did have another, not completely formed idea though.

That is to have a winch, possibly under body mounted (not sure on this as there would likely be issues with rope winding) with the rope run out to a stowed and firmly anchored but removable snatch block then out, through a super smooth tube to the other end of the vehicle (possibly alongside or even through the chassis rails :shifty:) with the hook on the other end through a fairlead and again anchored with a removable pin. That way there's a 2:1 reduction in one direction (whether desirable or not) and a single or more pull in the other, all on one winch. Both forward and reverse.

Tube routing, rope winding and winch positioning are the main challenges.

I like the idea, but IMO, you’ll need reasonable access to the drum to deal with tangles and debris. It doesn’t happen often, but if/when it does, it’s important.

A lot of dedicated off-roaders have inboard winches with tube guides to the front or rear, some research would give you more ideas Rich.

But, again IMO, for occasional use, your winch should be as accessible as possible and as simple to use as possible.

Having had a winch on my truck and used it a lot over the last 12 years, I’d suggest the important things are a remote operated free-spool and winch in/out action, the first one being the most expensive bit.

I can’t remember the number of times I’ve got stuck, got out of the truck, round to the back to get the cable remote, plug in then operate the free-spool lever. Haul the line 40 meters or so in ankle/knee-deep mud, to realise I’ve left the tree strop in the back. Run / walk back (in the mud again) get the tree saver, back to the tree (in the mud again) attach the strop and shackles, back to the truck (in the mud again) drop the remote cable in through the drivers window, jump in, start up the engine, hit the remote switch to winch in .... bugger, forgot to disengage the free-spool :doh:out again (in the mud) turn the lever, back in the truck, and away :lol:.

And that’s assuming that you can haul the line off the drum. Often you can’t, I dunno why, it just jams, but you have to go back to the truck, reingage the spool, winch out to get past the jam, then haul again back to the tree.

Then, when you’re free, the same in reverse to pack it all away again.

All good stuff, you’re on your way, but it can be exhausting, especially on a tough track with climbing, and if you need to go through the above process 4, 5 or 6 times, or more.

Great if you have a winch bitch, but he/she will soon get teed-off.

So bottom line for me when I get around to changing mine, will be keep it simple and as auto/remote as possible.

Also, neat though they look hidden away, you need to keep it as clean as possible. Winching is a muddy and dirty business, and it and the rope gets muddy. So you do need to be able to access it to clean it, or it will gum-up in no time.

Just sayin’ ...

That is a neat setup. Some good points there and good sense, Clive, re the dirt factor.

It would be great to have room for a drum that diameter.

And PTO driven... my 80 originally had a PTO winch on it...

hmm, I have BJ46 with a pto winch. time to do some tweaking maybe? I love the way how the cable goes around the back over the 2 pulleys. I should have put the winch behind the rear axle pointing backwards and then do a similar setup like the 109.
do I hear another project coming up?
small update to my build :
I found 2 tow hooks. sandblasted them and some time ago, I found info on how to diy zincplating. decided to have a go at it.

first test with some washers
DSCN3034-1199.jpg

they weren;t clean enough and I could wipe off most of the zinc coat again.
DSCN3035-1199.jpg

first bath and still some uncovered areas
DSCN3036-1199.jpg
DSCN3037-1199.jpg

both of them nicely covered after about 5 hours in the bucket with 2 volts and 2 amps (thats the leftover voltage from the power supply when the current limiter kicked in). I fried a diy 10A rated power supply with this setup.
DSCN3045-1199.jpg

setup :
plastic bucket
vinegar
salt (100 grms/liter)
sugar (120 grms/liter)
scrap zinc (on the + side of the power supply)
power source with some sort of current limiting.

DSCN3047-1199.jpg

Hi Fire practice makes perfect as they say your welding on the winch mount looks tough did you mig or stick weld it together and what is the weight rating on your tow eyes as not to pick faults but the welds on the eyes dont look as strong as what you have done on the winch tray all praise to you as the zinc i use comes out of a spray can so i guess doing it your way would be tougher to mud and abuse Good luck with your project

They look like original Toyota recovery points.

Yes, my welding can be improved. Projects like the winch mount are fun and also great to practice.
The winch mount is mig welded.
And yes they are original land cruiser recovery points.
The zinc plating was surprisingly easy with stuff I found in the kitchen and in the scrap metal bin.

Back