Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch shopping

If you want longer heavy cables made up Shayne, let me know. The winch has to go in the correct way as that's the way it's designed to take the forces, with the rope coming off the bottom of the drum.

Last edited:
Can't you put it under the bonnet Shayne, or mount it on a plate behind the grille with just the handle showing through. They are not the same. Look at the current capability, yours can handle 5x what the other can. Yours is a serious piece of kit. Could you fit it through the firewall?

I worked with much bigger winches on trawlers Rich and so i'm of a view that an emergency stop button placed anywhere other than immediately in front of you is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard .

I can fit this one but its bigger than i need so i have little choice for location . For size comparison look at 500g of muller light yogurt , the isolator i have is an inch taller .

I worked with much bigger winches on trawlers Rich and so i'm of a view that an emergency stop button placed anywhere other than immediately in front of you is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard .

I can fit this one but its bigger than i need so i have little choice for location . For size comparison look at 500g of muller light yogurt , the isolator i have is an inch taller .
I've just bought a couple of these kill switches
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311478926947?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
very small but can take 300a total height is 50mm but the 'tower' part is only 35mm so if mounted below a plate would be very discrete.

Not sure they would do for a winch Chas.
Shayne, you could always wire in a decent solenoid and a small switch to operate it wherever you want it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Chas but this is one of those rare cases when i do look at brand names and yours don't have one .

I love the idea of a switch Rich but i'm not even going to try having spent hundreds on cb stuff and still not having a cb i have no intention of being adventurous .

Think i have cracked it though as it never crossed my mind to put the switch handle under the bumper .

And we have lift off :banana-wrench:

Why didn't you tell me the isolator went in the positive cable :scared-shocked: :angry-tappingfoot::teasing-wedgie::lol:

And we have lift off :banana-wrench:

Why didn't you tell me the isolator went in the positive cable :scared-shocked: :angry-tappingfoot::teasing-wedgie::lol:

C'mon Shayne, you know the rules, I need photos of you climbing the dry face of a dam wall, at least :lol:

Otherwise, you know it's coming, wait for it....

{{{ It didn't happen }}}

:text-worthless:

Ha i would make it over the top unlike the Hamsters lamedrover . It's back on the kitchen table now i'm sorry to say because the bumper needs painting .

He looked genuinely scared in that video, I think I would have been a bit nervous, too. :lol:

No worries Shayne, I can wait... patiently.... :confusion-waiting:

Did you see how they did that stunt?

Did you see how they did that stunt?

I don't recall, TBH.

I've seen the vid and I remember some kind of device at the top to get over the overhang, if I'm not mistaken?

But I'm guessing there's more to it than that, do you have another installment on the way, Rich?

They didn't use the Land Rover engine to drive the winch. The winch was hydraulic and they used a donkey engine on a pivot so it sat upright all the time in the back to power it. I don't think they actually got over the dam at the top. If it was shown going over, it was rigged to look like it in two bits.

They didn't use the Land Rover engine to drive the winch. The winch was hydraulic and they used a donkey engine on a pivot so it sat upright all the time in the back to power it. I don't think they actually got over the dam at the top. If it was shown going over, it was rigged to look like it in two bits.

Interesting.

I can't pretend I blame them though, it did look scary stuff.

Time to browse u toob maybe...

The stunt didn't make much of an impression on me in any case i remember thinking to myself that it's no different to getting in a lift , but more fun

So much for paint , i decided there was something missing so -

fuck sake 147.JPG
fuck sake 148.JPG

I think the uprights are too vertical so i will invite criticism - what do you think ?

Looks reasonable Shayne. The drivers side is a little more upright by a degree or so than the passenger side is all I can see. The only thing may be to mock it up and see what it looks like more splayed out. I'm sure you've looked on youtoob or gurgle for any vids or photos as inspiration.

Last edited:
You have a good eye Rich the drivers side is sprung a little but its only tack welded , that is a mock up , the trouble is there's only so far i can open the 90 bends without losing the regular tube form .

Would you believe being impatient to get stuff painted i wasted 3 hours (traffic) to visit a pro tube bending place who then claimed they couldn't make that shape and instead offered to make me something closely resembling an inverted U :wtf:

Back