Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windscreen washers

C11ONX

So over the last few months my washer spray has progressively got worse to the point that the spray now doesn't reach the screen. Now the questions are
Where is the pump.
How do I check if its the pump that's going or if its a blockage
Does each jet have a pump

I would imagine both jets work off one pump. It's common that if they don't get used often moss and dirt build up in the jet holes on the bonnet and block them.

You could simply check the pump by listening and seeing if it's operating, I would think the pump would be located near or on to the fluid container.

One pump accessed from the front left (passenger side) either by removing the washer bottle reservoir (4 bolts) or i think you might be able to get on your back and look up. The pip work comes up and out the fender in the engine bay just ahead of the fuse box and before the back of the head light almost behind the side of the battery against the side wall.

It might be blocked as my bottle had loads of crap in it and i used a combination of bleach and hot water to clean it out. The pump is a small cylindrical item that pushes into the washer bottle and has a black seal to stop water leaking out. Its a bugger to get out with both the washer bottle and pump removed let alone trying to remove just the pump.

Shout if you need a hand but i find a jet of compressed air down the pipe helps unblock it but make sure you have it unplugged from the washer jets and pump when you do this as you are only going to block either if you dont.

EDIT: There are two pumps on the washer bottle one for the washer jets on the front and rear screen and one for the headlight washers.

Last edited:
I fit small in line filters on all my jets. Never had a blockage since.

Frank

On my 80 I've removed the pipes from the jets and with an airline, blasted the jet nozzles "backwards".

At the same time, I ran the pumps (front, rear and headlamps) all similarly disconnected, to flush out any crap that may be in the bottle and pipe work.

All has been well for 4 years since then.

Use a branded windscreen washer liquid, not tap water. It cleans the screen better and I think it has anti fungal agents which reduce residue building up in the bottle. They also have antifreeze agents for the winter.

I don't see the need to cut your hands to ribbons trying to get the bottle out or taking the pumps off the bottles. I did all that and wished I hadn't!

Good luck. :icon-biggrin:

We get loads at work all blocked up with mould etc.

My washer bottle is next to the air filter!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just use ordinary tap water with a little isopropyl alcohol added
drinking-23.gif
instead of screen wash, it helps to clean the glass better, stops it freezing and gives off a lovely smell each time the washers are used (well I like it, my wife hates it :icon-twisted:)
I don't know if it stops mould in the water but it was stood at Julian V's for two years without any building up. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Screen wash is useful for stopping Legionaire's Disease... hence why, even in summer, it's a good idea to run it in the washer bottle rather than just pure water.

I faced a similar scenario and even after cleaning out the pipes and nozzles the water flow was still barely adequate. Tried to get a pattern pump to fit the bottle from a few car accessory/auto factors but it looked like the only one that would fit the bottle would be the Toyota part. Can't remember exactly how much it was but the price killed it so I just bought a generic, bulkhead mounted, inline pump for around £5 and plumbed it in downstream of the bottle mounted pump. The result is like a jetwash for the windscreen!!

I have found one on flea bay. It says to fit a 98-03 front washer pump. £10. Lets see. As I haven't even asked mr T as he has spanked me on parts recently. Will let you all know

I have twin pumps in mine. I cut the pipe, put another one in line and spurred the power to the original. Hmm, twin pump action and triple nozzles!

With trace heating of course. Hot water cleans so much better than cold.

EDIT: There are two pumps on the washer bottle one for the washer jets on the front and rear screen and one for the headlight washers.
Am I right in assuming the furthermost forward pump in the bottle is the front windscreen washer pump, and the smaller one is for the headlights, then where is the pump for the rear screen? :think:

The 2 pumps on the side of the washer tank are front and rear screens. The headlamp washer pump sits underneath the front of the tank.

The 2 pumps on the side of the washer tank are front and rear screens. The headlamp washer pump sits underneath the front of the tank.

:thumbup: Thanks TP, Warren had me confused, it's not difficult. :oops:

The pipe down to the rear washers has a one way valve to stop water draining back down from the nozzles. This is an in line valve and externally is more or less the same diameter as the pipe. It gets blocked up and there is no way to clean it without removal. Just unplug from the pipe and clean out by reverse flow. Whilst it's out clean the pipe out.

Frank

So here's an update.
The pump from flea bay looks the same but a locating pin was in the wrong place. So after grinding it off and fitting it was weaker than the one on. Cleared out the lines with compressed air and popped out the spray jets which were restricted. Ther seem to have a 1 way valve inside and I think the rubbers inside may have swelled. So buying 2 new jets and a new pump from mr T.

You can remove the eyeballs to clean out the inside of the nozzle body. Then ping hem back in.

Frank

Back