Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windscreen washers

I have twin pumps in mine. I cut the pipe, put another one in line and spurred the power to the original. Hmm, twin pump action and triple nozzles!

With trace heating of course. Hot water cleans so much better than cold.

Chris .. is there a thread or any pics of this setup?

Or is this it? An old picture of yours.

Heatexchanger.jpg

different approch not seent that before. food for thought
Stu

Another job to be added to the list me thinks. :thumbup:

I used to make w/w heaters with two lengths of half inch and three quarter copper pipe, one inside the other. The 3/4 formed a jacket using reducers each end (just ream off the stop inside the reducer to allow the 1/2 inch pipe to go through). The 1/2 inch obviously carries the heater hose water.

Then I used copper brake pipe inserted into drilled holes in the jacket each end, for attaching the w/w pipes in and out, solder it all up and they work great!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
New pump on order mr t £95 + vat And 2 new jets at £11.50 each and vat

Another job to be added to the list me thinks. :thumbup:

Components bought and waiting to be installed. I think I'll wrap kitchen foil over the turns of plastic tube and hold in place with Gaffa tape, that should improve the heat transfer. :think:

Last edited:
Or is this it? An old picture of yours.

View attachment 10239

Remember seeing this in a popular mechanics magazine back in the late 70's. Made something similar for a Capri I had at the time. Was OK when warmed up but didn't thaw out frozen nozzles any quicker.

Last edited:
New pump on order mr t £95 + vat And 2 new jets at £11.50 each and vat

That's why I went for a pattern pump. £100 for a £15 pump?? Absolutely ridiculous!

My pump was £5.55 inc P&P on eBay.

Remember seeing this in a popular mechanics magazine back in the late 70's. Made something similar for a Capri I had at the time. Was OK when warmed up but didn't thaw out frozen nozzles any quicker.

The only real answer to freezing is to use an antifreeze washer liquid, down to -30 C.

I bought a patterned pump. It was absolute rubbish. Has no power to pump water. As I intend on keeping the trick for the next 5 years at least. Then it's a job I intend on not repeating.

Pump fitted. Sounds much better than the old which sounded better than the patterned one. Also changed the jets as I think the rubber had swollen inside restricting the flow ( which I presume caused the demise of the old pump due to restricted flow)

The nozzle bodies get full of dirt. Mine were blocked. You an get a thick wire through the eyeball and it pings out. I was amazed how much dirt I got out. Then they ping back in and you can realign them. Like hoses now.

Frank

Back