Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wiper goes nuts!

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
The "Auto" function on my wipers is pretty crap really.

When switched on, the wipers gallop away at double-quick speed, then stop..... then single swipe.... then gallop.... slow swipe... gall...stop...swipe...slo/gall/swip....stop ....stop...stop...gallop......get the idea? No rhythm and not in any sequence.

Regardless of how I adjust the sensitivity of the auto control on the stalk it makes little difference.

Wipers work normally in other modes.

Anyone know if there is a cure for this, or is this normal?

The sensor might need a clean both inside and out.

Its on the back of the rear view mirror that attaches to the window.

Warren, I sent you a PM couple of days ago chap...any feedback?

Hmmmm... perhaps its a US spec thing only??

Could it be the wiper motor itself needs cleaning and greasing ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could it be the wiper motor itself needs cleaning and greasing ?
Not sure its that, as I'd be having problems with the normal operation wipers; they work fine.

I think i'd just put a sticker over the sensor if i felt the auto detect was more annoying than useful .

Simple fix for a minor nuisance , i hate little things like that they annoy you constantly for years but every time you get home you forget about it until next time it happens so it never gets fixed .

My truck has parking sensors that go barmy when it rains . I felt hard of ripping the wires out coz i bet someone paid good money to fit them so i just cut the speaker wire and added an on/off switch .

Last edited:
Hi Shayne. Just take tha arms off :icon-biggrin:.

Frank
Blocking the sensor wouldn't effect the normal operation of wipers (which he says work fine) it would just disable the auto function . I imagine its only a motion sensor the same as you can get in a £2 light on ebay .

Probably the sensor, yes. There's a particular procedure to fit it right.
If you use the TechStream to switch off the auto, you will get normal interval switch instead. (I do that every winter season, coz the auto is crap in sub-zero)

Thanks uHu, interesting info as cleaning the sensor makes no difference. I did find a clear gel pad that sits between the glass and the sensor and wondered if this acts as a semi-conductor; perhaps that could be causing the problem?

Dont have access to Tech stream unless.....!

Warren, does your gadget allow you to reset the auto-wipe function??

I wonder if TS would allow one to reprogram the auto, to enable single swipe. That would solve a lot of issues and address that annoying ommission from Toyota.

Last edited:
I wonder if TS would allow one to reprogram the auto, to enable single swipe. That would solve a lot of issues and address that annoying ommission from Toyota.
TS only lets you turn on and off the Auto. I tried, and found that Auto Off means Interval Function on the first step of the wiper switch.

Olazz said:
I did find a clear gel pad that sits between the glass and the sensor and wondered if this acts as a semi-conductor; perhaps that could be causing the problem?
The gel pad is called "Rain Sensor Tape", part no 89944-50010. It's a non-reusable part.

Attachments

• Rain Sensor.jpg
    Rain Sensor.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 129
uHu, that's terrific stuff thanks. Will order a new sensor tape. the existing one does look somewhat "tired".

Lazz

Hi all, I've been having exactly the same problem.
Here are 2 photo's of my sensor:
rainsensor001.jpg

rainsensor003.jpg

do you think the tape is missing? or stuck to the sensor?
There doesn't seem to be anything on the screen at all.

cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Back