Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wood supplier

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Anyone use firewood for heating during the winter? I buy about 6m3 of wood a winter for a wood fire we have and use pretty much all winter long. My latest batch of wood is slightly less flammable than asbestos. When it does get going, the BP rig exploding put out less smoke.

I tried some more from Thompson in Crews Hill and it's the same except....it's laced with diesel or old oil.

The wood is never the driest even though they claim it is kiln dried or barn dried for 400 years (think their barns have no roofs).

Anyone have a good supplier of firewood which a) burns b) is not imported from SA (I found a guy who did...kameeldoring :drool: ) and c) I don't need to re-mortgage my house?

Not sure this will be of much help, Crispin, but there is a BIG pile of sawn logs for firewood on the Wimbledon Common just next to the old windmill (for those that know it). I presume that it's a help-yourself deal as it appears to be all the windfall trees from the woods there that are dragged along and sawn up. Perhaps a small payment is required - I dunno?

Unfortunately it's not exactly close to you and it does mean loading it up yourself and hauling it. On the plus side, it should burn reasonably well coming from old, dead (dry) trees.

Cheers,

Wear a yellow jacket and put a flashing light on the roof and i bet no one will stop you ;)

I some times work with a mate who does fencing, so all of the old fence posts find there way into my garden, this saves him on weight when he takes them to the dump, then when I need wood I just get the chainsaw out.

Back