Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would this be possible?

Gab250

Hey, I'm just wondering how hard it would be to transplant the engine, gearbox, and perhaps diffs from an 80 series into a 60 series? Are there alot of differences?

Of course its possible. Any running gear can be transplanted to any other chassis, providing there is physically room for it!

You clearly couldn't put the running gear out of a lorry into a mini for example because it wouldn't fit.

The argument always remains, why bother? If you want something that drives like an 80, buy an 80. The actual amount of work involved is probably going to outweigh any (dubious) benefits.

People put standard diesel lumps into classic cars for a living, so I don't see why this would be any harder, at least your staying with the same manufacturer, but remember you'll also have to change the wiring loom and probably modify a lot of the mechanicqals and the chassis to fit. Your not going to do it with a hammer, a can of WD40 and some string over the bank holiday weekend.

While it would take a serious learning curve to attempt it , it's always been a sort of fantasy of mine to do something like that , but while lying in a hospital bed for a year with nothing to do but think I decided it would make a great deal more sense to build a vehicle from the ground up . A body is just a shell , so I think i'd just get an 80 - remove the shell and drop a 60 body on top . Still far from simple but mechanicals and electrics would remain entirely standard , the headache would likely be making a custom bulkhead and dashboard to ensure the steering wheel and switches etc were all housed tidy .

There's a company in the USA who fit 60 series bodies to 80 series chassis etc, they call it the land cruiser 140!

I cant remember the site, but they looked excellent! :icon-biggrin:

Back