Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

You couldn't make it up

I would think that I might be a tad disappointing to find that a bag of peanuts I purchased contained some other variety of nut's instead, truly you could not make it up, ............

I liked the other recall too, tins bearing the label "Herring Fillets" were recalled because they didn't state that they contained fish. :angry-nono: :crazy:

Anybody who is allergic to nuts and buys himself a bag of peanuts needs his genes removed from the pool... It's not permitted to neuter them, so let them eat peanuts. Good riddance.

It seems that we breed stupids faster than we can feed them...

All the Health and Safety and safety warnings like these interfere with natural selection. Hence the stupid genes get a foothold…

Reactions: Pat
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
But peanuts aren't nuts.
Didn't Britain back in the early 50's sponsor a big scheme growing groundnuts to help the African colonies and in effect were they not peanuts?

Didn't Britain back in the early 50's sponsor a big scheme growing groundnuts to help the African colonies and in effect were they not peanuts?

Good old Wiki...

Peanut, also known as groundnut and goober (Arachis hypogaea), is a crop of global importance. It is widely grown in the tropics and subtropics, being important to both smallholder and large commercial producers. It is classified as both a grain legume, and, because of its high oil content, an oil crop. World annual production is about 46 million tonnes per year. Peanut pods develop under the ground, which is very unusual among crop plants.

220px-Arachis-hypogaea-%28peanuts%29.jpg
Peanuts
As a legume, peanut belongs to the botanical family Fabaceae (also known as Leguminosae, and commonly known as the bean or pea family). Like most other legumes, peanuts harbor symbiotic nitrogen-fixing bacteria inroot nodules. This capacity to fix nitrogen means peanuts require less nitrogen-containing fertilizer and improve soil fertility, making them valuable in crop rotations.

Peanuts are similar in taste and nutritional profile to tree nuts such as walnuts and almonds, and are often served in similar ways in Western cuisines. The botanical definition of a "nut" is a fruit whose ovary wall becomes very hard at maturity. Using this criterion, the peanut is not a nut, but rather a legume. However, for culinary purposes and in common English language usage, peanuts are usually referred to as nuts.

Maybe if they're processed on the same production line as other nut products, the "could contain nut products" warning is a safeguard against cross-contamination... :think:

Back