Country Flag
great_britain
It's GSM's 20th birthday.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/09/20_years_of_gsm_digital_phones/

phones_1.jpg

phones_2.jpg

I had both those phones, and still have a working 2110. :clap:

Blimey :shock: Those are compact :icon-smile:

This was my very first mobile phone, but this was more than twenty years ago :think: :icon-confused: :shifty:

panasonic.jpg

I once left it on the roof of my MkV 2.0 Ghia Ford Cortina, drove 15 miles and when I got home it was still exactly where I'd left it :shock: Luckily :lol:

And this was my second :icon-smile:

170px-Nokia_150_and_nokia_1100.jpg

The one on the left :lol: :lol:

Then this one :icon-smile:

ericsson-gh337big.JPEG

Oh I could go on and on, there's been many :icon-rolleyes: :icon-smile:

I've no idea what happened to the Panasonic transportable, but the other two I still have :icon-smile: The nice thing about the transportable that I remember was that it was 3watt, unlike the handportables that were under 1watt at the time I seem to remember :icon-smile:

we must have been slow adopters, Sony mars bar phones were our first, followed by an Ericsson like Steven posted above at some point.

Last edited:
:lol: I remember the transportables but far too young to have used them...I was 4 years old when Ernie made that landmark first phone call to the Vodafone offices!

I think there's still a GH337 kicking around here, it was my mum's company phone at VF.

Last edited:
Yes my first was the Motorola transportable, battery lasted about six hours if i was lucky.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Blimey :shock: Those are compact :icon-smile:

This was my very first mobile phone, but this was more than twenty years ago :think: :icon-confused: :shifty:

View attachment 4435

I once left it on the roof of my MkV 2.0 Ghia Ford Cortina, drove 15 miles and when I got home it was still exactly where I'd left it :shock: Luckily :lol:

And this was my second :icon-smile:

View attachment 4436

The one on the left :lol: :lol:

Then this one :icon-smile:

ericsson-gh337big.JPEG

Oh I could go on and on, there's been many :icon-rolleyes: :icon-smile:

I've no idea what happened to the Panasonic transportable, but the other two I still have :icon-smile: The nice thing about the transportable that I remember was that it was 3watt, unlike the handportables that were under 1watt at the time I seem to remember :icon-smile:

I had one of those Panasonic luggables too... back in 1987 I think it was. My next one was less than a tenth the size. It was a Nokia 5110

Not my first by a long way, the first was a flip phone from that company that guaranteed free calls between 7pm and 7am (can't remember their name) but one of my favourites the Nokia Banana phone. I've still got it and the belt pouch, I thought this would be an antique of the future. :think:

Banana phone.jpg

I had one of them too chas. I loved it.
Made famous by matrix

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My first phone looked a lot newer than most of the ones posted:

244px-Nokia_3210_3.jpg

Must of been 14 or 15 at the time

Back