Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Your road tax is going up again

Luckily or unluckily which ever way you look at it all four of my vehicles are due for tax on March 1st

An extra £10 PA for an 80 series isn't too bad.

I like your positvie outlook tp.

Im always negative though. Its £10 a year so the majority of us think that its not too bad. Over 10 years thats 100£ our wages dont climb like eerything else. Its just another thing to keep the working man just on the verge of ok-poor standard of life. JMO

Last edited:
Well I think this is a brilliant move. They'll have enough money to sort out all the potholes and we'll have nice roads to drive on by the summertime.
The White Rabbit agrees with me and so does Alice. :crazy:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It’s no consolation I know, but the annual tax on my 80 went up 300lei this year to 6,000lei.

That’s a rise of circa £60 to £1140...

£1140!! Is that correct? How do the locals afford to run cars?

For a “car” it’s quite reasonable more like the UK Karlos, but anything over 4 lt and euro “0” or whatever my 80 is, they sting you unmercifully.

Sounds like daylight robbery Clive.... with a vehicle like your pays to drive off road only ....lol
How much road tax do you pay for yours Dervis ,For my 120 its about 540 euro about the same as the UK .

Sounds like daylight robbery Clive.... with a vehicle like your pays to drive off road only ....lol

Of course it’s my option, there’s another and that’s put a divider behind the front seats, black out the rear side windows (or replace with gullwings) and remove the middle and third rows of seats. Then I could register it as commercial.

Trouble is, I love my 80 for what it is, a 7 (or 8) seater reasonably comfy people carrier, 100% Offroad capable. If it was something else it wouldn’t have the same appeal to me.

Only this weekend there were 8 of us in it, 5 adults and 3 kids, it was perfect!

As it is, it’s my DD, and I love to be driving it every day. I also think the DD aspect is good for the truck. If I parked it up and used it for Offroad only, it would hardly get driven, get damp inside, and generally seize-up on me. I don’t have a garage and don’t want one either, so I pay the price. It’s just annoying that they jack it up every year, in leaps and bounds, 10 or 20 quid would be one thing, but an increase of 60 quid in a year? Mama... :cry: :violin:

End of.

How much road tax do you pay for yours Dervis ,For my 120 its about 540 euro about the same as the UK .

I pay every September here so of last paid close to 1300TL equivalent to 280 Euros in todays money. Quite a bargain compared to you guys I must admit.

Of course it’s my option, there’s another and that’s put a divider behind the front seats, black out the rear side windows (or replace with gullwings) and remove the middle and third rows of seats. Then I could register it as commercial.

Trouble is, I love my 80 for what it is, a 7 (or 8) seater reasonably comfy people carrier, 100% Offroad capable. If it was something else it wouldn’t have the same appeal to me.

Only this weekend there were 8 of us in it, 5 adults and 3 kids, it was perfect!

As it is, it’s my DD, and I love to be driving it every day. I also think the DD aspect is good for the truck. If I parked it up and used it for Offroad only, it would hardly get driven, get damp inside, and generally seize-up on me. I don’t have a garage and don’t want one either, so I pay the price. It’s just annoying that they jack it up every year, in leaps and bounds, 10 or 20 quid would be one thing, but an increase of 60 quid in a year? Mama... :cry: :violin:

End of.

Yes your right there Clive is just there is a agenda I'm seeing more so in penalising older vehicles now more than ever by jacking up the road tax and other devious means. A lot has to be said about the scandal of modern day diesels and were ever getting close to them banning them in cities.

I think were good here for a good while still as theres still so many old vehicles on the road but in Europe it s scary picture.

Oh well this is life :eusa-whistle:

Yes your right there Clive is just there is a agenda I'm seeing more so in penalising older vehicles now more than ever by jacking up the road tax and other devious means. A lot has to be said about the scandal of modern day diesels and were ever getting close to them banning them in cities.

I think were good here for a good while still as theres still so many old vehicles on the road but in Europe it s scary picture.

Oh well this is life :eusa-whistle:

Agreed.

Sadly, one thing driving the “anti-old-vehicles” campaign here IMO, are the ruling politicians’ financial interests in selling new vehicles.

I pay every September here so of last paid close to 1300TL equivalent to 280 Euros in todays money. Quite a bargain compared to you guys I must admit.
That is a very reasonable price to have to pay, I think in the UK it is about the same as your price for pre 2001 cars . But in the south of the island anything over 2.6 engine size is 540 odd euro no matter how much bigger it is, but pickup trucks pay about 280 euro as they get special treatment to help country side folk as they need them to tend to there land , pity SUVs don't get the special rates .

We pay only when you register a vehicle - you pay on pollution, size etc etc - but it goes down each year so for a 10 yr old car you pay minimum - I think we paid something like 350€ for our 90 - 6 years ago.....there is no annual tax to pay :) but if you want to use the motorways then you pay (not very much - France -UK and back prob 100€ or so) so, trundling around a and b roads is much cheaper but slower :)

IMO it all has to be viewed in the wider scheme of the cost of owning and operating a vehicle.

For example, don’t know what fuel prices you pay in Cyprus, but here its less than in the UK, (now) it recently shot up but has dropped again and stabilized at about 1.10 GBP.

Roads are almost exclusively toll free, so there’s no extra to pay there.

Car insurance is relatively cheap, I pay the equivalent of about 170 GBP pa, and labour is very cheap in comparison here for repairs and service.

If you did a 10 year total cost type calculation, we’d probably be on a par with the UK...

Anyone keen on this entire taxation regime business, should look at how singapore does it ( note: its not cheap, but is linked to the state being able to provide an alternative)

Back