Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Your road tax is going up again

IMO it all has to be viewed in the wider scheme of the cost of owning and operating a vehicle.

For example, don’t know what fuel prices you pay in Cyprus, but here its less than in the UK, (now) it recently shot up but has dropped again and stabilized at about 1.10 GBP.

Roads are almost exclusively toll free, so there’s no extra to pay there.

Car insurance is relatively cheap, I pay the equivalent of about 170 GBP pa, and labour is very cheap in comparison here for repairs and service.

If you did a 10 year total cost type calculation, we’d probably be on a par with the UK...

Fuels gone up again twice in the last few months the cause being the weakening Turkish Lira now at 3.85TL Euro Diesel ($1.03 / Euro 0.83 / GBP 0.72)

Just have to take in consideration of the Turkish Lira devaluating over 100% in the last 7 years :crazy:

Insurance is cheap only third party for older vehicles like ours around 100 Euros max.

Labour is cheap here too Clive but parts more pricy then abroad even if you can find them anyways.

as mentioned its only a tenner. the 80 being at least 20 years old now we will slowly be forgotten.
whats a new 4x4 tax nowadays? well over £400 a year?

Annoying to see an increase when the roads are in such a poor state, but not a surprise, it's only ever going to go one way.

The very faint and distant silver lining to the planned tax/mot changes is that many of our enthusiast owned vehicles are over half way towards their 40th birthday, when they should qualify for tax and mot exemption.

Note to self: Need more classics in the fleet. (I'd rather spend my money keeping a classic in good condition, than pay tax that gets wasted).

The state of the roads is a pure sign that the "road tax" has nothing what so ever do do with repair of them! With the amount of vehicles on the road, I would have thought that we would be driving on a flat pot hole free surface. When I called the local council about it. I was told that Whitehall has cut the funds. ... so where is the road tax revenue going???

The state of the roads is a pure sign that the "road tax" has nothing what so ever do do with repair of them! With the amount of vehicles on the road, I would have thought that we would be driving on a flat pot hole free surface. When I called the local council about it. I was told that Whitehall has cut the funds. ... so where is the road tax revenue going???

The road tax funds long ago went into the coffers of other schemes and not the roads. The roads are laid by an alicated perporion of taxes on fuel now and have been for a long time.

In short road tax has nothing to do with the roads and were just being robbed blindly !

I don’t think theres ever been any serious intent to even pretend that the so-called “Road Fund Licence” fee has ever been exclusive to funding the roads.

Possibly why they’ve been brave enough to officially change the name of it at long last, to “Vehicle Tax”.

IMO, it’s just a tax, like income tax or VAT and others, and it falls into the bottomless pit to be spent on whatever the flavor of the day may be.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Especially with this corrupt bunch of liars we have in at the moment! :angry-screaming:

Annoying to see an increase when the roads are in such a poor state, but not a surprise, it's only ever going to go one way.

The very faint and distant silver lining to the planned tax/mot changes is that many of our enthusiast owned vehicles are over half way towards their 40th birthday, when they should qualify for tax and mot exemption.

Note to self: Need more classics in the fleet. (I'd rather spend my money keeping a classic in good condition, than pay tax that gets wasted).

The bugger there is that the prices of interesting things will shoot up - look at the prices of Land Rovers as they approach 15 years old and again at 25. 15 is the import age for Canada, whilst 25 is USA.

On the otherhand, my HJ45 is 40 years old this year...

When I imported my FJ I expected to be paying the top rate of £500 plus. But as an import it is put on the old tax scale so I pay £245. Not sure I agree with the latest reincarnation of the scales of a flat rate of £140 and a loading on the first year.

When I called the local council about it. I was told that Whitehall has cut the funds. ... so where is the road tax revenue going???

Road tax is the tip of the iceberg. Cutbacks everywhere, Police, NHS, the armed forces, just about every Council in the land has had it's funding cut to the bone. So, all this money they're saving, where the hell is it all going?

Road tax is the tip of the iceberg. Cutbacks everywhere, Police, NHS, the armed forces, just about every Council in the land has had it's funding cut to the bone. So, all this money they're saving, where the hell is it all going?

I suspect a fair portion is going to the EU, it's certainly not going to anywhere we need it.

Vehicle Excise Duty stopped contributing to the Road Fund in 1936!

ive said it before. if you spanner on the 80 yourself I find them a reasonable cheap car to keep on the road if your in it for the long run. even if you just do your own servicing.

I suspect a fair portion is going to the EU, it's certainly not going to anywhere we need it.

Offshore bank accounts guy's... what more can I say!

Back