Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 1KZ-TE Intercooler on a 90 .

Silly question time, from me...

If an inter cooler is so effective (and I don't doubt it for a moment otherwise manufacturers and you guys would be spending money for nothing!) then why do I notice no change between winter and summer?

Here the winter temp can be and often is less than -20C and the summer in excess of 40C, but I've never noted the merest hint of more power or fuel efficiency between winter and summer. :think:

Is there a logical explanation to this?

I find this odd because I do notice a difference. Even my wife noticed yesterday that it runs better in the early evening versus midday heat. Not sure if this is more noticeable because of my mods..

Thanks Chad and Grant, now it makes sense to me! :doh:

Told you it was a silly question! :lol:

I find this odd because I do notice a difference. Even my wife noticed yesterday that it runs better in the early evening versus midday heat. Not sure if this is more noticeable because of my mods..

There is definitely a difference in performance of all cars at lower ambient temperatures. Probably hard to notice given the time difference between winter and summer

Intercooler is now fitted and though i've not had a chance to test it properly i have high expectations , a short stretch of 60mph road on the way home tells me the throttle is just as responsive in 4th gear as it is in 2nd .

Last edited:
Can anyone see any advantage in connecting the intercooler up with the ECU .There's an electrical connection on the cooler and a matching one lower down on the engine , i'm guessing it relates to some sort of sensor perhaps to control boost ?

Can anyone see any advantage in connecting the intercooler up with the ECU .There's an electrical connection on the cooler and a matching one lower down on the engine , i'm guessing it relates to some sort of sensor perhaps to control boost ?

I think you will need a different ecu - search kzj90's posts about different ecu's.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Fridayman i've read his posts he fitted the newer ECU hoping to get more power but soon reverted back to the old ECU . I'm thinking the looms there so perhaps the ecu will recognise the cooler . I cant actually think of any advantage to be gained by hooking it up , as it is my truck is now in permanent boost mode but i thought i would mention it to see if anyone thought it important .

If you mean the connector next to the outlet that goes into the inlet manifold I think you will find it's an air temperature sensor similar to the one in the intake hose from the filter holder. If you try the connector from that one you should find its a straight fit. This should then tell the ecu what temp the air is going in and should adjust the fuel to suit I should imagine. Haven't fitted mine yet but on my friends Prado the connection for his sensor is the same colour and shape as the one on my Colorado. Check out toyodiy then try it and see if it makes any difference

If you mean the connector next to the outlet that goes into the inlet manifold I think you will find it's an air temperature sensor similar to the one in the intake hose from the filter holder. If you try the connector from that one you should find its a straight fit. This should then tell the ecu what temp the air is going in and should adjust the fuel to suit I should imagine. Haven't fitted mine yet but on my friends Prado the connection for his sensor is the same colour and shape as the one on my Colorado. Check out toyodiy then try it and see if it makes any difference

Even if the connectors are the same, I would be surprised if this works. On a non-intercooled truck that signal would be ambient air temp, and on the intercooled version it would be the post-turbo compressed and cooled air temp. While the intercooler does attempt to bring the air temp back to ambient, I'm not sure that it actually does (certainly not all the time e.g. when moving slowly)... so the 2 sensors would be sending different signals under the same conditions (going up a dune, the intercooled version would give a much higher temp). This is why I suspect that you would need a different ECU. Of course I'm only speculating, and I don't actually know!

You could be right,Fridayman but on the Prado I believe that is the only air temp sensor I could find and something must talk to the ecu to give some idea of air temperature. On the inlet pipework that came with my original set up the inlet pipe from the filter to turbo doesn't have the hole for the air temp sensor. It doesn't even have the moulding mark for it either. So your guess is as good as mine. Just thought that if the ecu is getting the temp of the air post turbo it may adjust the fuel to suit. Still reading and learning about turbo's and diesels even after owning my Colorado for 7 odd years now. I am also saying that you only would need to connect the sensor in the intercooler not both. Would be interesting to find out if it did make a difference or not.

The part no on toyodiy is 89424-60010. This is for the sensor on a 1997 Prado with intercooler

Last edited:
Done a few hundred motorway miles yesterday and i'm going to plug it in , something is missing , it feels like the truck needs re-geared to take advantage of the power , matching fuel to air is a glaringly obvious reason to hook up to the ecu just a shame the connection won't reach each other so i will have to cut one off and add some wire .

It will work or it won't it can't do any harm anyway .

Going down to see Charlie tomorrow at Prospeed to discuss exhaust options (3" from turbo sounds most probable) i had only just put down the phone when i noticed he also makes and fits his own intercoolers :think: its getting into daft money for something i don't actually need buuuut ........... well we will see .
Hello Shayne
If you got it, by now you should have good history with that 3" exhaust. What are your thoughts on the upgrade now, and would you recommend the change?
Cheers,
Simon

Suffice to say the following two trucks i bought went direct to prospeed for the same treatment before i did anything else to them .

These people Shayne?
ProSpeed
Bell Hall
Escrick
York
YO19 6HL

I go here Pro-Speed Exhausts - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

and to be upfront there was some issues last time relating to time , its usually a drop off and pick up same day service but i'm happy to accept there were some personal matters going on at the time effecting the man with the skill and ultimately Charlie did produce a sweet sounding performance improving exhaust for my 80 at a price that barely covered materials so i am still happy to recommend them .

Cheers Shayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Back