Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 1KZ-TE Intercooler on a 90 .

My thinking is more power, than less revs for my usual driving speed and so improved fuel economy

Revs will have nothing to do with it unless you change your gearing - perhaps you mean less throttle?

Yes sorry, in my head that made sense! Less throttle. Any advances on the tubing diameter?

I'm far from qualified to say this but it seems to me that the larger volume of air the cooler itself can hold the better it will work , but as i learned recently by getting shouted at for posting questions about air filter mods and forced induction we cannot put more air through the system than the standard setup allows . I was gonna use a 3" pipe to the 3" cooler but sods law means a change of plans so i've just bought a Prado top mount cooler .

Without over complicating things, the best compromise will be the same size tubing as the throttle body/intake port. Deviating that can change the parameters of cooling/throttle response/power delivery at top/bottom end - you can sometimes use this to your advantage especially in high performance installations

But realistically, we're talking about a 4pot long stroke diesel here. Use whatever matches up between your cooler and intake diameter.

Doodle i understand what your saying but surely by adding maybe 4ft of pipework your making huge changes anyway , you probably know a lot more about it than me so may i ask - wouldn't even a 6" pipe fill to a suitable pressure within seconds of start up ?

It's not about filling the pipe, it's about response to changes depending on what you're doing with the throttle. By increasing the distance between turbo and intake, you'll get an extra lag in the throttle response. The longer and wider the piping, the bigger that effect gets. So you need a pipe that is big enough to not be restrictive, but small enough so that you're not waiting ages for changes to flow through the system.

Given that the governing factor will be the intake manifold, there is usually little need to make the pipe much larger than that. If you want to be really technical about it, you can work out the exact size needed based on the cfm that the engine can pull through

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Doodle that explains the principal which is good enough for me , please don't waste your time working it out exactly for me as anything beyond an inch give or take a smidgen just confuses my precision sledgehammer .

Shayne

As you have a bodylift, if you fit the standard prado setup there will an extra gap between the intercooler and the underside of the bonnet.

On my lifted prado this gap has been sealed by using an inch or so of foam to make sure the cool air is directed through the
Intercooler.

An alternative would be to use extended pipes either end that raise the intercooler up, so you get the airflow, but you also move the cooler further from the top of the head - a source of extra heat. Even better could be a heat plate on top of the head.

Pete

Yeah thanks Pete the plan is to bring the cooler as close to the bonnet as possible and fit a bonnet scoop from an Isuzu Trooper . Then it might be possible to fit an electric fan to help with cooling at slow (off-road) speeds . A rubber bonnet to cooler seal would be great if i can get one to fit , but if not i have some flame retardant hard foam which can be sawn and sanded .

Guys my apologies for not getting back you with the measurements but have been a bit hectic this weekend and haven't had much luck taking pics yet. I am hoping to sort this over the next couple of evenings. Hopefully the photos will help explain everything easier as the intercooler on the standard set up doesn't sit flat it sits with the end facing the bulkhead up about an inch sloping down to the front of the engine. Hope to get it all sorted soon.

Right. I have measured the face of the intercooler and it is 300m x 220m x65mm deep. This is the area where the air flows through. The actual intercooler is 320mm x 330mm x 90mm thick at the folded seams.
intercoolerpics004.jpg

The turbo inlet is central on the intercooler on the offside and is 46mm in diameter.

intercoolerpics002.jpg

the inlet pipe is 47mm in diameter and looked to be muffled or some thing inside looks like a silencer. Hopefully you can see it in this pic. The total length of the inlet pipe is 290mm from the bottom to the top of the flange

intercoolerpics006.jpg

intercoolerpics005.jpg

The centre of the outlet of the cooler is positioned 135mm from the rear of the intercooler and is 62mm ID and 67mm OD

intercoolerpics004.jpg

It is also angled slightly as the intercooler sits on the engine rear end up to align with the bonnet slope.

intercoolerpics001.jpg

If there is anything else I can help with please ask . HTH:icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Looking mean Shayne. :thumbup: Where did you get the scoop from?

Last edited:
scoop looks good. could be a factory job well done.
stu

Looks good does that Shayne :clap: Is that the intercooler from off of a Prado then? I'm not so bothered by the size of my exhaust, but the addition of an intercooler does tickle my new project thoughts some what :shifty: :icon-smile:

Cheers folks the scoop is from an Isuzu Trooper and is definitely NOT the sensible way to do it . These bonnets have perfectly adequate channels built in for airflow to a top mount cooler so if you can get the Toyota rubber scoops that just sit behind your front grill and the bonnet to cooler rubber that's it job done just cut a hole in your bonnet mat , 20 minutes and the venting would be finished . I decided to add a scoop simply because i like them . You could instead cut small holes in the top of the bonnet and drop in some flush vents which would make use of the channels while adding a bit of visual styling . All personal preference i guess .

The intercooler is from a 3.0 Prado and is not yet connected and i should say the camera has been kind to produce those pics , today was spent making everything functional the scoop desperately needs a respray and nothing has be deburred , bare metal and gaps need filling and painting and a test run at 60mph says i need another bolt each front corner of the scoop to hold it solid .

Silly question time, from me...

If an inter cooler is so effective (and I don't doubt it for a moment otherwise manufacturers and you guys would be spending money for nothing!) then why do I notice no change between winter and summer?

Here the winter temp can be and often is less than -20C and the summer in excess of 40C, but I've never noted the merest hint of more power or fuel efficiency between winter and summer. :think:

Is there a logical explanation to this?

Last edited:
Clive,
The key point of an intercooler is it cools the air AFTER the turbo ... so post turbo temps can easily exceed 100 deg c. An intercooler brings these back to near ambient before going into the engine :)

Cheers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler

Applications to forced induction
Turbochargers and superchargers are engineered to force more air mass into an engine's intake manifold and combustion chamber. Intercooling is a method used to compensate for heating caused by supercharging, a natural byproduct of the semi-adiabatic compression process. Increased air pressure can result in an excessively hot intake charge, significantly reducing the performance gains of supercharging due to decreased density. Increased intake charge temperature can also increase the cylinder combustion temperature, causing detonation, excessive wear, or heat damage to an engine block.
Passing a compressed and heated intake charge through an intercooler reduces its temperature (due to heat rejection) and pressure (due to flow restriction of fins). If the device is properly engineered, the relative decrease in temperature is greater than the relative loss in pressure, resulting a net increase in density. This increases system performance by recovering some losses of the inefficient compression process by rejecting heat to the atmosphere. Additional cooling can be provided by externally spraying a fine mist onto the intercooler surface, or even into the intake air itself, to further reduce intake charge temperature through evaporative cooling.
Intercoolers that exchange their heat directly with the atmosphere are designed to be mounted in areas of an automobile with maximum air flow. These types are mainly mounted in front mounted systems (FMIC). Cars such as the Nissan Skyline, Saab, Volvo 200 Series Turbo, Volvo 700 Series (and 900 series) turbo, Dodge SRT-4, 1st gen Mazda MX-6, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Chevrolet Cobalt SS all use front mounted intercooler(s) mounted near the front bumper, in line with the car's radiator.

Back