Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 D4D injector recall

charles hurst in belfast replaced the seals under the recall, mechanic put in on the diagnostic computer 1 has blown and another 2 faulty

I have drawn a blank with Toyota Customer Relations due to the vehicle now being beyond the warranty period (which for these vehicles was extended to 7 years or 100,000 miles whichever sooner). Toyota dealer wanted £800 just to strip down engine to establish the problem before doing seals and sump oil pick filter. Minimum charge for big end bearings (probable problem) was £2,400; clearly they charge over £100 an hour labour). As a result the vehicle is being delivered back to my independent garage.
Toyota could have avoided all this for a few hundred pounds although hugolc5 appears to have been very unfortunate.

Great :( that was my next question once the injector goes what damage can be caused to the internals of the engine.

I am no mechanic but - from what I have read - the seals are the problem allowing gases to get into the engine causing blockage to the filter over the oil pick up in the sump. This then results in loss of oil pressure and consequent damage. I imagine the injectors failing would not in themselves cause damage. But - you need expert advice.
But I have also read that a dealer will charge top price for injectors - over £2,000 comes to mind. You should be able to source them cheaper but could not then use the dealer of course.
A question for you - when your LC4 went into the dealer for the seals to be changed was this as a result of the dealer contacting you and have you had the car serviced at this dealer?? I am trying to establish if Toyota managed this recall/campaign in a consistent manner. I used an independent garage and never heard anything until the engine stopped and I started doing an investigation on this forum.

what year dose the recall start from then I have a 2003

Model Vin Range Manufacture date
KDJ125 JTE AZ29J# 00019035-00050831 June,2004 Through October,2007
KDJ120 JTE BZ29J# 00049705-00160767 June,2004 Through October,2007

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Set of injectors on fleabay

Brand New Genuine TOYOTA Land Cruiser Injectors 1KD FTV Set Of 4

Item number 111011145873

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

£175 EACH, I thought it was £175 for the 4 off !!

Gra.

Last edited:
Still cheap - I saw the bill for mine, and it was over £1000 to try refurbish before they found out they can't and a lot more for new ones from Mr T

Latest update - Toyota refuses to get involved but I am still fighting.
There are some inconsistencies which people should be aware of:
1. Because this was not classed as a recall (but as a Customer Satisfaction Campaign) there was not written communication to owners.
2. The Toyota on-line Recall Checker tells me that my vehicle has no outstanding Recall nor "Voluntary Customer Service Campaign".
3. Customer Services tell me that a Customer Satisfaction Campaign is the same as a Voluntary Customer Service Campaign.
4. In its response to my email, Toyota tells me that because Customer Satisfaction Campaigns are not written forms of communication, they are not loaded into the Recall Checker database!!
5. Therefore I have asked why Toyota would include Voluntary Customer Service Campaign information in its Recall Checker site. It is totally misleading..
6. As part of the Campaign, dealers were told by Toyota to proactively contact owners. I bought the vehicle in Feb 2011 from someone who had used a dealer for service. He advises me he received no communication otherwise he would have told me.
It appears Toyota is using any excuse it can to avoid paying because the vehicle is now over 7 years old..........

I'm about to trade my manual 120 for an automatic. It's a 2006 model. Is there any way I can find out if the new vehicle has been in for the recall work?

Get vin and call Toyota?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with Crispin - if your vin number is within the range Crispin gave at the start of this thread then any Toyota dealer should be able to check the database to see if the work was done. If the 2006 model you are buying has a full Toyota service history it should have been picked up - but there is no certainty!!
Let me know how you get on

Latest from Toyota GB to my quest for compensation:
I am able to confirm that a Customer Satisfaction Campaign and aVoluntary Customer Service Campaign are in essence identical in that they areinstigated by the manufacturer to support our customers. We have confirmed that the information on theRecall Checker on the Toyotawebsite does not include the campaign on the injector seals, the reason forthis is being investigated.Inchcape xxxx did not make the previous owner of thevehicle aware of the campaign, as the bulletin was released to the Centrenetwork on 10 August 2011.The previous owner had sold the vehicle and Inchcape xxxx was unaware ofits whereabouts since July 2010.If you had maintained a relationship with a Toyota Centre thecampaign would have been highlighted to you on a scheduled service visit.
It is clear they are doing everything to avoid contribition to my costs. It is interesting to note they admit the Campaign should have been on the recall checker web site.
As for Inchcape not knowing the whereabouts of the vehicle defies belief! Any dealer should have written to all previous customers to make them aware.
I still await a reply to my last blast!
The final insult is that the Toyota dealer where my LandCruiser has sat for the last 8 weeks whilst this is sorted has now lost the key!!

I agree with Crispin - if your vin number is within the range Crispin gave at the start of this thread then any Toyota dealer should be able to check the database to see if the work was done. If the 2006 model you are buying has a full Toyota service history it should have been picked up - but there is no certainty!!
Let me know how you get on

Thanks Howard and Crispin. I should be taking delivery of the vehicle about mid-April. The vehicle does have a Toyota service history but I'll be sure to check it out. My current 120 is a 2003 model. I got the seals changed by my local dealer at a very reasonable cost as I was told that there was no recall for the problem. That may however have been for my vehicle. As it turned out the seals that were removed were ok but you can't be too careful. I'll let you know how I get on.

As it turned out the seals that were removed were ok but you can't be too careful. I'll let you know how I get on.
Hi Hutton,

Mine is a 2005.
When it went in for a service, I was asked if they could keep it a little longer, as they wanted to change the seals.
The seals that came out, were still like new, even when they were changed with around 220,000.
I feel "my" Toyota dealer has been first class.

Gra.

Hi Hutton,

Mine is a 2005.
When it went in for a service, I was asked if they could keep it a little longer, as they wanted to change the seals.
The seals that came out, were still like new, even when they were changed with around 220,000.
I feel "my" Toyota dealer has been first class.

Gra.

Good post Graham. Always good to hear when a dealer plays the game. Unfortunately, the deal on the 2006 Cruiser has fallen through. Let's just say the used car dealer wasn't exactly accurate in the initial description of the vehicle. Try before you buy is always essential!

Not sure anyone is still watching this.
My further communication with Toyota is getting nowhere. Toyota now says "the Engine Management Light would have illuminated before the vehicle failed, thus providing an opportunity for preventative action".
I have replied saying there was no light and no warning -the engine died on the A3. No lights came on when the RAC eventually re-started the car otherwise the patrolman would not have agreed to me driving the car a short distance home.
Has anyone else heard this story?? I have read a few other posts from people who suffered the same fate of a rapid failure...

Another evasion tactic by Toyota!!

Back