Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series Packing system

Why not put the fridge in the 40% seat spot and then you wouldn't need a slide for it?

Jon Wildsmith said:
Why not put the fridge in the 40% seat spot and then you wouldn't need a slide for it?
and you will gain loads of space in the back as you can mount the tank behind a shallow drawer as originally planned.

how about not using the water tank at all? If you use 20l black jerry cans they have one HUGE advantage- you can take them out if you get bogged- removing 100kg of water along with 100kg of fuel and everything else moveable in a truck can make a huge difference if you get stuck in sand. Agree they aren't as nice to pack away, or quite as easy to use, but Jerries do work well.

They are also a bit of a lifesaver if you ever need to walk out of the desert- you can strap one to your back and get going!

Is a steel frame needed for a set of drawers?
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=287
5th pic down, the span between vertical supports is so small there should be little chance of problems.

While the ones in the pic may not win any design awards, they did the trick! (I assume)

I guess a steel frame is not 100% needed, however, I don't want to rely on my wood-work skills which are non-existent :shock:

So I've been measuring and fiddling around most of the day. I can go with the jerries I suppose, but looking long-term I want to stay with the pump system and larger tank for convenience and because I'm a lazy git ... I can always chuck the Fiamma later and get a smaller tank and re-use the plumbing if it's a pain. Rather find that out on a 5-day trip through France than a 22-day trip in Morocco ;)

So the latest rendition ...

base2.jpg

and now I'm tired. I've checked my numbers (hope they're right) and will order tomorrow .... after phoning to check ;) I may fiddle a bit more, because I think I've over-engineered some of it :D But that's just m I suppose ... spend the money now and not have to keep trying to fix it as I go along and it spoils the trip.

I originally had my fridge on top of my rear drawer unit on a slider but it was too high to see inside the fridge so if you can afford to lose one of the second row seats, why not do what I did and mount the fridge in it's place, makes it very easy to access the fridge. I bolted a metal plate to the seat fixing points and mounted it North/South on that plate, various things can be kept in the footwell behind the seat in front, nicely secured of course.

{Admin edit - your part-duplicate posts have been merged}

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It works better for us to have the fridge in the back - that's where the table is and that's where the 'kitchen' drawer is, so no traipsing around the vehicle for stuff. With the water tank at the seat position, it can be very securely bolted and strapped down and no need to open that door again - and the footwell is available for some stuff under a cargo net. There's a cargo barrier between the passenger cell and the load bay to be some form of safety device - there isn't one between the front and rear seats, so that area I want as uncluttered as possible, although there will be a few small, light, non-lethal bits there :lol: .

The fridge currently is flat (almost - 25mm bottom of packing unit, then the slide, then the fridge - about 30mm in total) on the floor of the rear, and SWMBO can get to stuff in the bottom of it when it's slid out and opened (did a dry run yesterday). I put the 'kitchen' drawer above the fridge - in fact a 33 litre plastic Staples lidded box fits in there perfectly,and can take little runners to pull it out, and being translucent is useful to see in :D

So I'll go with this - the beauty of the connector vs weld design is that it's a bit like Meccano - you can tear it down and modify bits with relative ease. Plainly not as strong, but swings and roundabouts :D

I am in the process of finishing of an aluminium packing sytem for my 40 Seriesto be used on our forthcoming "Legends Trip" [30th April 2010 - 12 days to Northern Cape, Richtersveld, Namibia - Fish River Canyon and back - in a 1970's 40 Series]
Gazza - BTW we will be doing "The Road To Hell" in the 40's - you wanna come and shoot the video :lol: :lol: :lol:

The frame is finished as are the sliders for the drawers, it comprises of two lower drawers with the fridge slider on the right hand side. the on top of the left drawer are 3 more drawers that are the total height of the fridge
The space behind the 3 upper drawers is for the water tank

I have welded the frame using 25mm square Aluminium tube
The drawers are bent from 1.6mm flat aluminium plate
The outside of the system will be covered with 2mm aluminium tread plate

The fridge slide section accommodates a 40ltr National Luna

Packing_syst_40.JPG

Gazza you could make it out of aluminium square tubing using the Maizey knock together system http://www.maizey.co.za/content/view/33/179/

http://www.maizey.co.za/images/Products/Data Sheets/4WayPiece25mm.pdf

Have a final ( :roll: ) design I think - have managed to squeeze the water tank at the right rear standing vertically - the side 'wings' are hinged in 3 places for access underneath.

I'll now need to decide on the 25mm steel box or the 20mm extruded aluminium - waiting for prices..... so far including timber and stuff it's under £300 - the most expensive bits being the heavy-duty joints, as there are a few of those!

There's not an Optima battery going in, but an Exide 125aH leaisure battery, but the picture and size fits :D

Here's the latest:

basewithwatertank.jpg

Keith - the Maizey stuff is very similar to the steel box I'm looking at - the box is pretty light, as the sidewall thickness is only 1.2mm. Under a kilo per linear metre.

Cheers

Jon Wildsmith said:
If you design it, including dimensions of individual pieces, then you'll probably find me or maybe Chris could glue it together for you. Most of the time involved in creating something like that is in designing it not, building it. If you supply plans with all the piece lengths etc worked out already your truck doesn't even need to be here to build it.

I really appreciate that - but how do I get it once you're done? It's not going to able to be posted :D

And I don't think we'll be down to Lincomb in April / May / whenever - just too many weekends planned at work (like today . :twisted: ) so won't be able to pick it up easily.

Just reminding you of that option before you spend lots of money ;) but I realise it may not work for you for the reasons you mentioned.

I did say that I could bring it to Lincomb. If someone else was coming down at least partway we could leap frog it up to you if you weren't coming yourself. If you do though, will you give me a lesson on sketch up? You are getting pretty good on that. Looks like a bought one. £300? There isn't £30 of steel in it. I'd work for a wine box, you know that. or a contribution to the tool locker.

Chris

Gary Stockton said:
I really appreciate that - but how do I get it once you're done? It's not going to able to be posted :D quote]

It looks like it'd fit on a pallet - you'd be looking around £45 quid for the likes of TNT to ship that overnight... Maybe less

Here are a few pics of the aluminium packing system I knocked together - with my ten thumbs - for Kermit

DSCN0408.jpg

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

DSCN0412.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

No Gary. I can't weld aluminum.

But migged steel with rivnuts and treadplate would look exactly the same. That is a really really nice piece of work. If you can make that sort of thing easily and to a generic pattern for say 80s' 100s and 120 etc you would have a very willing customer base I think. The time is in setting up and designing, I find. The actual gluing is not that difficult. The bit that I find the hardest is in putting a cost to it.

Chris

Nice looking build. Personally, I'd just use plain aluminium sheet though...

Is there a reason why everyone uses 5-bar tread plates? Those profiles have mighty sharp edges...

Back