Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1976 fj45

I have this oak framed barn which is a listed building and has bats! It's in dire need of restoration and was near collapse!

P1010959.JPG

There's lots of subsidence in the left hand side corner post that has slipped off the stonework and has driven into the ground like a gate post! The horizontals in the gable a frame have snapped.

P1010963.JPG

Over the open bay of 16ft the lhs has dropped 2ft / 600mm and has a lean of 8 to 9"!

P1020358.JPG

So with this kind of job you need structural scaffolding.. the first job is to take the slates off the roof.

P1020362.JPG

With the weather boarding off the gable end you can see the extent of subsidence to the right hand corner!

P1020363.JPG

Inside there's an OTT internal scaffold which holds the weight of the roof above! We have bolted together accrows to make double length supports for the roof purlins. Right at the top you can see the first pulley block it's a 2 ton yale block and tackle with a 45 foot or 15 metre chain on it!

P1020373.JPG

This one can lift from the outside of the gable and slide in to lift from the inside.

P1020375.JPG

With internal and external scaffolds you can then run support bars through under the beams, making the weight of the barn being stood off the scaff.
The orange pulley block is a tiger 2 ton with 16ft /5m chain length.

P1020378.JPG

So we aim to lift the barn back to its original height.

P1020381.JPG

When you start lifting with the pulley blocks you lift 4" then stop and go around the accrows and the support pipes and you catch up with the height raise.

P1020369.JPG

Because the barn was leaning, we used this 2 ton yale pull lift and what a good tool this is. Works better when it's pulling heavy and it helped a lot to get this corner back to level!

P1020386.JPG

A very handy pair of pulley blocks!

P1020406.JPG

The site is very tight and the only way to get the new beams in is to pulley block them in!

P1020417.JPG

My mate shows the scale of it and in this pic it shows how much of the barn is missing..

P1020420.JPG

The yellow block's chain goes outside to the trailer! About 45 foot of chain used via this pulley to make a 90 degree turn in the chain!
P1020418.JPG

It works really well!

P1020412.JPG

Took time to get this replacement oak tie beam nearly up onto the support bars.
P1020422.JPG

P1020422.JPG

Setting up for the gable a frame repair.

P1020423.JPG

Best use a softwood plank to mimic the new beam to get the angles! To our surprise the board was level! :thumbup:

P1020424.JPG

An thats as far as we got yesterday! It's a very positive and enjoyable job! I like it! :thumbup:

Attachments

• P1020424.JPG
    P1020424.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 19
Hi Iwan that's a grate job you have on the go keep the pics comeing hope you r well wow how long will that take good to see a craftsman at work I bet you will love that all the best Tony.

Cheers Tony, the job is good fun to do, these jobs don't come along too often but great when the opportunity arises!

Have allowed 10 weeks onsite, plus workshop plus materials but excluding ground works.. take care out there Tony and hope to see you soon! :thumbup:

Enjoyed reading your 45 build, and very interesting the day job also. Craftsman for sure

Thanks Jake.. I used to spend my school summer holidays helping my late father with oak barns. Beginning with demolition to eventually sell the materials and then moving to the 90's the restoration work like this job. This aspect of the job takes me back to the days with my Dad.

He for sure would have loved to see this job happening! :thumbup:

I've had a real gap in my attention to this project for a couple of reasons... One I hope will be resolved @karl webster .

I've had a day of picking up a job lot of leftovers from where lc 79's are converted to gun carriers and 200's are reinforced to be "bullet proof!" Lol. I didn't realise that "that" was done here in the uk!

P1020914.JPG

So I got this newish 79 rear axle with upgraded springs, most importantly the half shafts and some neat super slim after market spring plates..

P1020916.JPG

This axle is 120mm narrower than the 80 series one I had fitted to the 45 and I wasn't very happy with the fact that it was so wide.. You can see the width difference by the length of the driverside 79 compared to the 80, Aand the spring perches are positioned at the same width as the springs on the 45.. looking good!
P1020918.JPG

These look aftermarket but very strong! The shock mount has a proper hemi joint in the base but someone cut off the shock! Never mind you can't win it all!!

P1020919.JPG

With the deal there's these 200 parts which have "delivery" miles on them! Essentially new and had been removed during upgrading the GVM,
If any one would like to buy these parts, the offer is there!

P1020926.JPG

Had a bit of a fiddle with the backing plate off a 24valve 80 and it fits perfectly! Then test fitted the new 200 rear caliper onto it... perfect fit! Who would have thought it! LOL :thumbup: :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Iwan great to see you on Sunday that looking a good axle for the 45

Cheers Tony.. was good to catch up with you too mate!

Yeah very pleased with the axle case and the bits etc.. to narrow the rear axle with will get it in balance with the shortened 80 front axle plan! :thumbup:

Back