Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1976 fj45

Hi Iwan good to see you them bits r a big help thanks a lot looks like you r getting on with it :thumbup:

Hi Iwan good to see you them bits r a big help thanks a lot looks like you r getting on with it :thumbup:

Yo Tone, were the 70 steering rod clamps good for your job? Been good to see you recently mate :thumbup:

P1020313.JPG

Had an initial look into the axle! From noticing in the previous pictures that the drivers side short shaft is the same length virtually as a 60 series. I've set the 80 case so the inside 80 coil spring is 15mm away from the 45 chassis.

P1020314.JPG

When you look at the long shaft side from the inside of the coil spring to the chassis is 100mm too wide. Looks like you need to reduce the width by 90mm to leave 10mm just like the other side.

P1020316.JPG

This bit is a 90mm wide cut and it's spaced so that when cut it will join back together the same size. I've never done anything like this before!:lol::thumbup:

Wow. What sort of weld are you going to have to do to make that work?

I, perhaps wrongly, thought that the axle casings were cast, so would that mean stitch welds?

Fascinating stuff!

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Iwan the 70s clamps helped me a lot thanks I MIT have bits to help you with your job on the fj45. See you soon :thumbup:

Wow. What sort of weld are you going to have to do to make that work?

I, perhaps wrongly, thought that the axle casings were cast, so would that mean stitch welds?

Fascinating stuff!

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks Roger, The axle is made out of 6mm steel so regarding to the welding, I'm currently doing research on the way to go about it. One fella did a tig weld pass and then a heavy mig pass. He showed good theory of making sure that when you weld it up you use heavy angle iron welded over the joint to protect the axle from distortion, then to remove the angle iron to finish it off. I'm probably going to get some help with the welding....

To scribe lines on the case to ensure it lines up after the cutting.

Was wondering if to make an inner sleave that would bridge the joint??

I have an anomaly with the 90mm cut out in the previous post as the passenger side trailing arm needs to move in 120mm to be in the correct or same position as it's opposite counter part where they meet the chassis.

So am going to look into the 65mm cut that the 60 series shaft will allow. This means that the driverside trailing arm will go outside of the chassis by 15mm and the passenger side arm will also be 15mm outside of the chassis.

The extra gap between the coil springs and chassis would be circa 20mm.

Will see how it goes, if it won't work then there's still the option to mount it with leaf springs....

Doing a root weld & then stitching seems like a good idea as is fixing in place with the angle irons or tacking onto another bit of metal .Before doing the root weld i would tack it up properly & then check for alignment . I'm not sure about the inner sleeve ? the problem is that you can only weld it in place at the join .A practice with the piece you cut out might be a good idea? pre & post heating is also good but this i think is pretty straightforward , big heatsinks & no other headaches.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep tack the 4 corners add the heavy angle irons and then refit, to work out the arm mounts on the chassis then to measure the castor.... castor has to be measured with the weight of the engine and box fitted too.. which will also require to know that the propshafts are nicely in line. Plenty to keep in mind but with this now a spare time project then the gaps between activity will hopefully mean that no mistakes will be made!!!

Hi Iwan come on this on eBay item number 164333998048 and it might help just thinking hope you r well .big :thumbup: from Tony.

Have managed to do the auto trans to manual parts swap this weekend. Very good way to get the parts right for what you want.

P1020321.JPG

H151f with minimal waggle on the input shaft, it's an early one so it has a little problem to change down to 2nd.

P1020322.JPG

Spent a small amount of time getting the gearbox mount in position, it's 560mm from the bell housing face to the centre of the two bolts on the trans mount.

Have used the 80 series manual cross member with the lj71 auto chassis brackets. It's going to work a treat, just need to elongate the inner bracket mount holes in the cross member and to drill the chassis to bolt the outer holes into the chassis just like an 80.

If I can get this mounted then the gearbox can go in with the transfer..

A nice hit on this yesterday evening....:thumbup::)

As a time served machine tool fitter, former toolmaker , welder & fabricator i can only say that this is an awesome build.

this is an awesome build.

+1 :thumbup:

Most people think swapping an engine or a gearbox is pretty adventurous. This is a whole different league - it's a complete one-off you are making from scratch out of bits you've been collecting for years. Totally awesome. This is going to be a really special truck. I am so enjoying this build.

Thanks fellas for the positive comments! It's quite a project to say the least Lol! I think I'm past the point of no return!! Lol :lol: ..

With a bit of drilling I've got the CM in.

P1020323.JPG

The h151f is a heavy sucker to lift off the ground on your own, a bit sketchy method of raising it off the ground!

P1020324.JPG

Got it in not so bad when off the ground.

P1020326.JPG

Transfer on, looks very high up with this in, it's certainly not going to be a small low truck when done, really the height of the gearbox is essentially how it sat in an 80 so how is this going to be compatible with the 45 cab? Cab spacers?

P1020327.JPG

P1020327.JPG

Looking pretty nut's! :think::):thumbup:

Years ago I briefly saw a 40 with an 80 engine and box fitted and was struck by how much of the gearbox was visible during a side on view as at the time it did not have the g/b guard fitted.
As you know I have a 2H and H55 box in mine and the cross-member for my gearbox looks deeper than the one you have. If it helps I can measure the drop and cross member in relation to the chassis.
Assuming that you are retaining the heater there is only around half an inch clearance between the g/b cover and the bottom of the heater in the cab so at the height that the g/b currently sits (by the looks of it) the cab lift is going to be quite significant and there is little room to shave the bulkhead.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Roger, yes indeed it looks very high up. The main body of the new gearbox sits 240mm above the chassis rails. The length is such a lot more too.

I've done some measuring tonight regarding the top line of the bell housing to the fj45 passenger side gearbox mount.

P1020329.JPG

On the 2f from the top of the bell housing to the underside of the mount is 260mm and the 30mm for the thickness of the rubber bush to meet the chassis equals circa 290mm above the chassis rail.

P1020331.JPG

I've leveled the new gearbox so the lines on the casing are parallel with the chassis and it measures 285mm top of bh to the top of the original lower mount bush.

P1020332.JPG

The comparison between the top of bell housing is very similar in height between the 2 gearboxes but the overwhelming height of the h151f is remarkable and it will eat into the cab space quite a lot.

I think to fit the knackered 1hdt block in next and fit the viscous fan with the original radiator that came with it to see how parallel the radiator is to the viscous fan. Then make a decision, it would be quite straight forward to add a section of box metal between the gear box mount and the lower side of the chassis..

Can picture that I going to have to cut the floor of the cab so that it fits around the gearbox. so already planning to trial fit the cab after fitting the parts above. :think:

Should be some pretty interesting pics coming up! Lol :thumbup:

Hi Iwan I will have to come up with the fj45 so you can measure it up if it will help looking good.

Hey Tony sorry for the late reply, been a very hard time. My Mum has had a massive stroke and is on end of life treatment. Absolutely gutted at the moment!

When this blows over it'll be great to take you up on the offer and to get a proper look at the available space between the cab and the chassis etc!

Cheers mate! :thumbup: :icon-cry:

Hi Iwan I am so sorry to hear that. If I can help in any way let me now hope mom will be ok .

Thanks guy's, out of the blue it's a hard thing to start to come to terms with..

Back