Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-T BEB JASO DH-1

Quoris

Country Flag
united_states
I am in the U.S. and just bought a 1992 JDM 80 series with 1HD-T engine. Did some reading and YouTube watching about the BEB. I Found that it seams the consensus is the calcium in the Japanese oil protects the bearings, and that is why they do not have the BEB problems? Since my Land Cruiser came from Japan can I use the engine oil that meets the JASO DH-1 specification, and be OK?

Simple answer? You just never really know unless you pull the sump and BEBs. I have done several. Start at cyl 1 - perfect, 2, fine, 3, lovely, 4, not a mark, 5 well this is a waste of time, 6 HOLY HECK Look at that!!!!
Yes in theory you should be fine, but we can't give you any kind of guarantee I'm afraid.

Yes. Any update needed to the shells will have been done by Toyota so if you buy new ones in your country you should be fine. As with any engine nobody can ever guarantee the state of their beb shells whatever.

I was thinking that might be the answer. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will pull out the BEB in the next year or so and report back.

There has been a theory put forward the 1HD-T BEB issues are caused by pulsations caused by ignition and combustion properties that are inherent in the design. This is supported by the fact the problem doesn’t go away with new alternate brand or updated Toyota bearings and why the problem is limited to 1HD-Ts and not seen in 1HZs of similar periods that were using the same bearings and cranks. Likewise the absence of issues in FT and FTEs.

Regardless, just do an oil sample. It will tell you if you need to pull the sump and bearing caps off. You can’t get a false positive from a decent lab. Unless you like pulling sumps and bearings in situ...

Back