Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hz - euro norm

Pachyderme80

Country Flag
switzerland
Hi there,
Is the engine 1hz always in euro 2 norm or some mods have been made in the latest version to put them in euro 4. If that’s the case what kind of mods, EGR, CAT?

(I just go through some selling places on the net and I saw a 78 2010 with 1hz and it’s written euro 4. I’m wondering if that’s a mistake?)

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
In all seriousness the best it ever achieved was a 1 or 2; in the UK they tend to be exempt from classification.

Would it benefit you where you are if you could make it Euro 4?

Actually from what I learned by doing my homework is that there 1hz with EGR and CAt which makes them euro 4, especially for the German market.

For me, not at all. Actually I was in the process to buy a 78 when I noticed it was euro 4, reason why I asked the question.
I want to buy this model because it can drink everything so I’d prefer one which is max euro 2 or 3.

Hi there,
Is the engine 1hz always in euro 2 norm or some mods have been made in the latest version to put them in euro 4. If that’s the case what kind of mods, EGR, CAT?

(I just go through some selling places on the net and I saw a 78 2010 with 1hz and it’s written euro 4. I’m wondering if that’s a mistake?)

Thanks for your help
No mistake there, or at least not by definition. Mine is registered as Euro 4 in the Netherlands, and I've got me the corresponding stickers for Germany and France.
The point here seems to be (for the Netherlands, and I've seen it described for Belgium along the same lines: maybe it's a EU-wide thing), that if a vehicle has no emissions classification registered at the official administration, it then automatically receives a classification taken from a fixed table - which is then used by other European national registries. This situation seems to occur when a vehicle was imported at some point. You can find the table here: Tables Vehicle's Euro emissions standard | Milieuzones in Nederland - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]. The 1HZ has an aftermarket EGR installation, but that is irrelevant to the class.
My HZJ78 has been imported from somewhere-I-don't-know into Germany and then into the Netherlands, and has no official emissions classification - and so, derived from it's age, it is a Euro 4.
And I'm happy with that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@Volly That table is interesting. I am about to get a 2011 1HZ. According to that table it will be Euro 5!! I am starting to do my research for the trip to Buschtaxi Treffen and I don't want to get caught out.

I would see the ‘if’ as being the testing. So here in the UK if it were classified as Euro5 it would need to pass the MoT emissions test to that level.

I would see the ‘if’ as being the testing. So here in the UK if it were classified as Euro5 it would need to pass the MoT emissions test to that level.
From where I stand, the big if is whether the emissions classification is in the system or not - this might indeed be different in the UK. On top of that you have to pass the yearly emisssions test. That part needed a bit of creativity - send me a PM if you could use some advise there.

It doesn’t matter if the emissions data is in the system. The vehicle will be tested in accordance to it’s age. My car shows no data. It is tested to current standards being a 2022 vehicle.

I imported my 78 from CZto UK 2003 with all history from new it is September 2006 manufactured reg October with egr euros spec on registering with dvla 2006 vehicles were upgraded to euro 4 unfortunately road licence £635 dvla class os estate car.

I imported my 78 from CZto UK 2003 with all history from new it is September 2006 manufactured reg October with egr euros spec on registering with dvla 2006 vehicles were upgraded to euro 4 unfortunately road licence £635 dvla class os estate car.
sorry using phone keypad imported 2020 sorry for confusion.

Back