Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series gullwings rear windows

High time for an update on this as I have been doing things on the doors, though in truth not much as I've been busy.

Tried the gas struts I bought in and at 50N they are far too soft. So ordered 100N, 120N and 150N as trials as I know some of you might want to hang things on the doors as well. Finally got along to the paint shop today and they are going to coat the prototype for next week.

Also checked out water jet cutting and the cost is about the same if not higher than how I'm having them done, and I've got to supply the material, and get them rolled so not so easy either. It seems if they do more than one sheet at a time the inevitable gap between upsets the jet and you get a progressively less accurate cut on the lower sheets.

Oh that's a shame.

Still very keen on a set. Not going to have time to make any sort of internal storage before Morocco, but getting the windows in at least would be a result. I can take the time then to think about the internals.

:thumbup: Still watching with interest SC, keep up the good work.

Thanks Chas.

I did get to look at an 80 with sliding windows and there could be a way to make these quite simply. I'll soon have a set of windows and if it's as I suspect, things could be a bit easier. Watch this space…[emoji6]

Thanks Chas.

I did get to look at an 80 with sliding windows and there could be a way to make these quite simply. I'll soon have a set of windows and if it's as I suspect, things could be a bit easier. Watch this space…[emoji6]

drooling-5.gif
That's me drooling.

:whistle:

Ha ha, trust me I know what it's like. But genuinely interested in knowing where we are. Morocco in only a few weeks now and would be great to have them in and tested by then. Don't fancy doing beta testing on the Spanish motorway. What about fitting them at the Adventure Overland show at the end of the month?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm picking up the painted prototype this afternoon. [emoji4]

I've just been very busy over the last couple of weeks and got a lot in the pipeline too so it's a but of a juggling act.

Last edited:
Collected!! Not yet inspected cos I'm on a mission to get to the dentist but should have some photos over the weekend. [emoji4]

Ok folks, you've all been waiting patiently for these, so here's the photos of the prototype.

This is one of the frames with the rear connection flange which TBH has been a real pain as it ended up giving the welder a real headache and it's slightly bowed not that you'd notice. So, from the prototype there may come some changes to try and avoid any welding at all (I think it was Chris who said that and I'm inclined to agree with him). Anyway without further ado I give you (fanfare please)… Landcruiser 80 Gullwing Doors Mk1

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442087624.175606.jpg
Front view
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442087653.811787.jpg
Rear showing connecting flange
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442087722.502743.jpg
Fitted
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442087762.311623.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442087834.493334.jpg

I've got to be honest, the way I've made the rear frame has made the window a nightmare to fit so it's back to the drawing board with that bit but as many have expressed the view that they dont want the flange, I may just ditch the idea anyway in favour of plain frames that can have screws inserted, perhaps by their new owners to suit any box behind.

I do intend to have boxes made but can't decide MDF or Ally. Weight is the main thing, but ally ones are going to come out expensive. I could do a combination with an MDF back and simple folded ally sides.

More to think on.

Last edited:
Is the flange to fit a box inside? if so I would prefer them with the flange, is it that makes them difficult to fit?

Yes Chas, that's the idea. They just need tweaking to fit (reducing the frame size slightly) but they have proven tricky to weld without warping the whole frame. I have got other welders to try or I will need to find another way of fitting them. This is the prototype so it's all part of the learnin'…

I'm sorry but you've lost me. Connecting flange?

They look superb. Super fit, super finish. Flange?

The part welded on to the back in photo 2 that you didn't want Chris. [emoji6]

Thanks.

Last edited:
The bit I didn't' want? Isn't that the frame? Don't think I'd call that a flange. I shall have to read back on the thread. I just want some windows. Not Microsoft ones ha ha

I'm guessing that this idea is just a great deal simpler in my mind. Anyhoo. Looking great. Impressed and grateful that someone else has picked up the ball!

I was trying to differentiate 'frame' as in the bit the door hinges on that is mounted using the window rubber and 'flange' (which I also have a problem with but cannot think of a better word) being the part at the rear where I intend connecting a rear mounted locker (or whatever one might call it). There's always more than one way to skin a cat but it's the curvature of the frame and door that makes it difficult to fit.

Last edited:
Can the mating surface of the 'flange' not be made curved to match the frame, or does that bring other problems? BTW I think they're looking great.
woohoo-022.gif

That's exactly how it is Chas. What I meant was that being curved it means some form of cutting or processing is necessary as opposed to if it were a flat sheet, being able to use, say, a piece of angle or strip ally for example. The 'flange' is more of a rectangular slip joint which I have cut from the waste of the door frame with curved sides and angled ends to cope with the curve and slant of the window. It is 90% right, I just made it too big to easily fit the hole and pull the rubber round.

And thanks BTW.

Last edited:
Back