Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'99 100 series engine trouble

Tidefan

Country Flag
united_states
While towing my boat recently I noticed that my cruiser was overheated. I pulled over and added water (while running) and got the engine cooled back down. About a quarter mile down the road I was overheating again and went through the process again. Once again it quickly began to overheat and this time blew open a "T" connector on the heater hose rear of the engine. We ended up leaving the truck overnight and went back to get it on a rollback truck the next day. We took it to the shop where it was diagnosed with a blown head gasket. I was given the option of repairing (replace head gasket, have heads machined, timing belt replace, etc.) or they would replace the engine for a few hundred in labor. I really don't know how hot the engine got but it was running smoothly as usual when I noticed the temperature. I would just like some opinions as to whether a repair would work or if I should be engine shopping.

Repair is likely to cost far less than a replacement engine . Skimming a blown head is a very common and well used repair method for most vehicles . Perhaps you were towing too much weight for to long and cooling the engine to quickly by adding water hot/cold hot/cold tends to warp any metal .

My biggest concern is that I would get that repaired and then there would also be damage in the lower part of the engine. I have found an engine with fewer miles from the Lexus LX470 that would actually end up about the same cost wise as the repair but I would like to keep my engine if possible. I just don't want to sink $1900 into it and then have to replace the engine doubling the cost. Are there any signs that the mechanic would see if there is damage to the lower portion?

I think that one of the problems with the Lexus engine is that you don't know its history.

If you decide to change the engine, one alternative could be a remanufactured engine (as opposed to reconditioned). Have a look at these guys The cost of fitting the engine will be the same as fitting the Lexus engine, but the cost of the remanufactured engine could be higher, but it comes with a warranty and in my opinion greater peace of mind.

Last edited:
I suspect it would be quite expensive to get an engine from them over to the US. :think:

Last time I was out there there didn't seem to be many people offering recon engines like we do here, maybe that's improved now? It seemed to be mostly single shops working on individual engines.

Last edited:
I would have the head gasket replaced. It would be quite difficult to break the bottom of the engine. The 1FZ-FE engine is very very strong. If it was running smooth it is most likely OK, however without stripping it down there is not much of a way to test it. Make sure when the head is replaced that the coolant system is flushed well and also the oil is flushed and changed to make sure that any sludge in the oil is removed and any oil in the coolant is removed. Also I've recently seen about a water free coolant - not sure if you can get it in the USA however have seen good things about it and it won't boil like water and is a last a lifetime coolant. Lots more expensive than water / antifreeze mix though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back