Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A bit quiet on here

Rob

Garage
Looks like quite a few people have not made it across as its a bit quiet :( or is it normally this quiet?

Just been on the old site, I do not think it is obvious enough that we have moved. Maybe a large banner across the top of every page would help bring everyone over.

Maybe, like me they are having trouble navigating this new site. I've just found another quirk, when clicking on a new post it sometimes goes to the new post, but sometimes it goes to the top of the page that that new post is at the bottom of, if that makes sense.
Looks like quite a few people have not made it across as its a bit quiet :( or is it normally this quiet?

To be perfectly frank Rob, I didn't have a clue what was happening. There wasn't a "Folks, we are moving the website etc etc" thread and seriously I think there will be those less involved users who just won't get it. The thread relating to changes wasn't really informative - it was more communication between those involved.

Not a criticism, just a realistic observation. Anything less than "We have moved' and a link to the new site isn't going to work for most.

Chris

I was under the impression that eveybody got sent an e mail, i got one.
Martin

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know what you mean Chris, there are plenty of people that do not check their email or may have missed the reset password email...

Well they may not have missed it, but I am not sure that they will all have understood what it was. Obviously we know how many members we had - and how many we'll have now. Were bound to lose some who had left anyway but were still registered.

Chris

Not sure how you could have missed the fact that we were going to move? The final clue would have been the email sen out to all users. Granted it might have been a bit sudden but hey, no point in waiting around...

Rob is right though, there are people frantically banging on the window trying to get in. I have put a big red message on the old one. I've also disabled all the accounts on the old site.

For those reading this and still not able to log in, you need to reset your password here: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/login.php?do=lostpw
Also read this: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...o-have-not-yet-come-across-from-the-old-forum

Incidentally just did a simple Google and the link took me to the old site where there is a clear message to redirect! Well done Crispin. But is there anything we need to do to make THIS site the highest hit in a search?

Chris

Unfortunately that is a large problem Chris and what Rob was talking about another thread somewhere.
There is a way it can be done but it's not my strong point. I had a couple of stabs at it today and this evening but it's a slow process as I am learning as I go. If it is done correctly it will seamlessly direct people to the same thread on the new forum.

If anyone here is any good with mod_rewrite then please put up your hand.
If mod_rewrite means nothing to you then keep walking.... :)

Thanks Crispin, and maybe a big banner on this one on how to log in would help bring the stranded online ;)

Dave, how come it took you so long to arrive? Did you not get the email or was there some confusion? Just trying to work out what might help spread the word. Might send another email.

Wayne is MIA, he normally pops his head in most days...

Sorry Crispin - posts crossed. Sorry but I don't agree that you couldn't miss that we were moving. The thread was just stuff batting back and forth to those in the know. It was pretty subtle and if you were only monitoring threads that were cruiser oriented there wasn't anything to make you go 'Oh, right, so the forum is moving and I need to move with it'

Honestly mate, not having a go here, just plain speaking. I think you posted something like 'If it all works I should see you there in an hour' My immediate thought was 'Where?' I still don't know why we have moved. I am sure we needed to - but I truly don't know what the benefits are / will be. Basically because I am thick when it comes to websites. I haven't the first clue how they work and what sits behind them. I don't think I need to either. But actually, a post giving me an outline would have been appreciated.

Sounds ungrateful - but it isn't. I am sure this has been a shed load of work. I just don't know why. I doubt I am the only person saying 'what was wrong with the old one?'

I know, I know - its sounds critical. It's not. I'm just asking.What's the plan?

Chris

Crispin,Colin off the other site is good with the net stuff. Do you want me to send you his email? Im sure he will help if he can

Some valid points in the move Chris. Let's hope now people see why red banner to help out.

As for the "why", this software offers far more than the old one does. It's a case of you get what you pay for; old one was free, feature-shallow, this one cost money and has a world of features. A lot of them we will probably not use but a lot we will.
Mostly though because I have been suffering from over sleeping and seriously needed to cub my bed-time ;)

Ah I remember Karl. I'll drop him a PM. We had spoken a few times about the upgrade why back when.

I have to say I am glad to see the forum moving to a more comprehensive platform, there are some great looking features like the blog section that could work well to document builds or trips and trip planning
Could the relative quiet feel just be people learning how the new forum works?

Don't recall, were you one of the guys who got the early warning of the mass exodus from TLOCUK or was it the same effect as here? :p

"Hey? Where'd everyone go...."

Kudos on getting the changeover done so quickly, and the new VBulletin site is certainly sharp. As a regular viewer and occasional poster I found the changeover info only after looking at a cryptic post, so I think many may have been confused. Likewise I didn't receive an email about the password reset and got locked out for 15 min!! As with Chris, I'm not criticising, just letting ye know that not everyone may have gotten the word about the site change.

P.s I would be happy to contribute a couple of my 'weak against the Sterling' Euros to the kitty for the change if I could get PayPal details in pm. Cheers

Back