Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A cheap landcruiser ?

Exactly, just saw one on ebay for a lot more than yours that had 17 advisories at the last MOT!!!!!

That's the answer buying off a forum member, not just a polish on a Sunday morning, but getting down and dirty on regular maintenance and repairs, usually backed up with bills/receipts.
IMO, this is far better than a dealer/garage book full of stamps with little detail that tells you nothing, represented as 'full service history'.
Vehicles such as Karl mentions are probably presented year after year for mot, and only addressing any fails, (bare minimum) ignoring advisories that develop into more serious things, wear other components, resulting in more fails, and cost more £ in the long run.

Iwan, didnt you get one better than cheap ?
Ahh yes indeed, it could be seen as a steal.. but unfortunately the truck itself does have it's security devices locked!

The real real cheap ones are orange on the under side with 250 k on the clock, filthy inside with all the body panels dented with numerous outer body trim parts missing... not a lot to start from there!

Yes, I remember the frustration and time spent trying to get it to start - the reason you were kindly given it. I would have accepted too, in the hope that I could sort it OR sell it cheap, cheap.

The other example you describe - I'll take it, name your price, lol.

It was £2250.00 for the latter one. was looking at it for the wiring/modules, but there wasn't enough enough salable parts left on it to recuperate the buying cost!

As said before, there could be many of the so called slow sellers still up for sale (cheap for a reason or expensive for the same reason) but if not looked over on buying then you'd have a few sleepless nights after you have had a couple of decent look's at it when sat in your drive! Reality strikes!

Anyone that says their cruiser isn't rusty, remove the rear bumper and post a pic up. Then post a pic of the sills, rear chassis with tank removed etc,,, etc,,,
Remove the front arch liners and post a pic of the inner front wings

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anyone that says their cruiser isn't rusty, remove the rear bumper and post a pic up. Then post a pic of the sills, rear chassis with tank removed etc,,, etc,,,
Remove the front arch liners and post a pic of the inner front wings

The arch liners were the source of the majority of the mot welding.
The cars been professionally undersealed twice...but not the inside under the liner!

That was my downfall too.
After spending days running into weeks properly prepping underside, rust treatment, paint/ underseal, I didn't remove those front plastic arch liners, as all looked ok.
Fast forward 2 years, thinking I had it beat, mot fail on loose o/side battery, it could be moved slightly, so thought it was just the clamp needed pinching up, but that was fine.
When I removed battery it was rotten metal moving on which the clamp was mounted and a large hole revealing the plastic arch liner, nothing visible from underneath.
O/side all done now with Toyota apron patch panels and a bit of imagination at the body shop, n/side not so bad, but wll need doing too.

I can't tell you how much ACF50 and Bilt Hamber's cavity waxes have been sprayed inside the cavities, sills, doors, inner wings, inside the chassis (loads gone into and over the rear crossmembers), nor the amount of marine grease that's been spread over the chassis and the outside of the inner sills, followed by the twice yearly blow over with ACF50 over the whole underside.
It's the only way i've found to keep on top of the rust, you need stuff that will creep, yes it washes off and no adequate rustproofing is a one off job in my experience.

I've sprayed loads of stuff into the areas MIster Cruiser mentions, haven't pulled the tank out but can't see anything to worry about, yet.

Yes its a messy bugger to work on underneath but i'd rather that than have piles of rust dropping in my eyes every time i looked too hard at the underbelly.

So far, and it's 19 years old this year there's never been a mention of rust bar the odd advisory about front brake pipes...though multiple mentions about the whole underside being coated in 'underseal', which it isn't.

I like this vehicle a lot, yes it likes a drink but it does everything we want.
Mrs visited family think it was Boxing Day or the day after, coming back up the M1 the heavens opened and sheets of rain came down flooding the carriagewway, she's doing 70 at the time same as many other and the 120 just ploughed through the stuff without a murmer allowing her to gradually redice speed to sensible visibility, it just does all you ask with no drama, you can't say that about all vehicles.
My 70 series saved her from any hurt some 20 years ago, no airbags no crumple zones but the accident she was in a tough battering ram was the best bet, had she been in her little company Punto at the time things might (would) have been somewhat different, these Toyotas literally take some beating.

I like this vehicle a lot, yes it likes a drink but it does everything we want.
Mrs visited family think it was Boxing Day or the day after, coming back up the M1 the heavens opened and sheets of rain came down flooding the carriagewway, she's doing 70 at the time same as many other and the 120 just ploughed through the stuff without a murmer allowing her to gradually redice speed to sensible visibility, it just does all you ask with no drama, you can't say that about all vehicles.

spot on - 100% agree with that!

Back