a roof tent story

flint

Supporter
Mar 11, 2014
No, haven't got the extra room yet, piggy bank still in shock :).

guruvetim

I am in zimbabwe
Oct 7, 2017
Zimbabwe
I know what you mean, I was lucky I bought mine direct from Bundu in Jo'Bhurg so I got a really good deal and they had the extra room as a freebie. Should have got them to stick the solar panel on the roof at the same time but funds were tight. Not to mention a friend transporting it back to Harare by bus...

It's a great tent though, money well spent.

Just make sure you don't leave too much inside when you close it, we left our bedding in a bit of a heap when we were heading out for a game drive one morning and managed to bend one of the side bars and it doesn't quite close by it's self now. Not a big deal you just have to encourage it a tiny bit when closing then it folds in no problem. I'm sure it just need bending back to shape.

I was also pretty pleased the the mpg with it fitted, I thought it was going to be horrendous but not at all in fact it didn't seem to make much difference.

Picture taken from a boat on the Zambezi

P1016932.JPG

Reactions: GeekOKent and flint

flint

Supporter
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the tip re bedding. I did make enquiries about buying one in SA and shipping it over via consolidated container (not many buses between SA and the UK :)) to save a bob or two, but by the time it eventually got here (VAT, trans shipping and the likelihood of damage etc.) not a huge saving, so I got it from Dara at Tuff Trek down in Sussex.

Reactions: guruvetim
Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

guruvetim

I am in zimbabwe
Oct 7, 2017
Zimbabwe
I actually went to see Dara at Tuff Trek to have a look at one before I bought mine. He was super helpful even when I admitted I wouldn't be buying from him due to the car being in Zimbabwe. He also recommended the Snomaster fridge freezer which I also bought direct they are also based in Jo'burg. I love that too. You can fit loads of beers in it and it stays really cold even at 40c+

trektheandes

I am in peru
Mar 26, 2017
Cusco, Peru
Nice pics.
I noticed no one has a rooftop tent and spare wheel on their roofrack.

Is it even possible length wise or just too much weight high up?

I have a 105.

I currently have my spare on the roof —as the swing away damaged the rear wing and I have a lpg tank underneath.

I would like a rooftop tent but think that would mean putting the spare inside unless it could also go on roof?

I don’t yet have a tent- just thinking ahead.
A better mounted swing away carrier would be the long term solution but can’t afford that at the moment.
Thanks

Last edited:

Howmanygoes

I am in england
Jan 14, 2019
Nice pics.

I have a 105.

I currently have my spare on the roof —as the swing away damaged the rear wing and I have a lpg tank underneath.

I would like a rooftop tent but think that would mean putting the spare inside unless it could also go on roof?

I don’t yet have a tent- just thinking ahead.
A better mounted swing away carrier would be the long term solution but can’t afford that at the moment.
Thanks
Hay up. I actually had my RTT and spare on my roof. I have a 100 series. My rack is a front runner. I spaced it slightly longer and wider than their catalogue options (which is a good thing about their kit). I allowed for a 285 tire and my arb. Easy fit and still room to add the tension bars for the tent with it opening backwards.

Shayne

Guru
Feb 2, 2013
South Wales UK
I had to change the ladder when i put that on my 80 because it wouldn't reach the floor :lol:

Open it would sleep 3 people easy though and it might leave room for a spare wheel on the roof .

nick_the_fish

Supporter
I am in great_britain
Jul 24, 2015
Derbyshire, UK

I have a 105.
DSCN0932.JPG

Obvs it depends on the size of your roof rack, tent and spare wheel. This is a Hannibal 1.2m x 1.4m on a full size Front runner roof rack with BFG AT2's, and there was even some spare for a ladder.

I didn't think there was significant body roll with that much weight up there, albiet it has upgraded suspension.

So, yes it is def possible.

Reactions: Howmanygoes

trektheandes

I am in peru
Mar 26, 2017
Cusco, Peru
Thanks all. Very helpful.
Got the roofrack modified yestetday by a local guy that builds roofracks-from a basket to flat and lengthened to 210cm
This leaves me 125cm of of rack behind the spare.
CB30AC73-45B1-42AB-B3E9-8B24A1029730.jpeg

So just enough to fit a tent.
The equivalent of 45 quid very well spent.

Reactions: guruvetim
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks