Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

a roof tent story

No, haven't got the extra room yet, piggy bank still in shock :).

I know what you mean, I was lucky I bought mine direct from Bundu in Jo'Bhurg so I got a really good deal and they had the extra room as a freebie. Should have got them to stick the solar panel on the roof at the same time but funds were tight. Not to mention a friend transporting it back to Harare by bus...

It's a great tent though, money well spent.

Just make sure you don't leave too much inside when you close it, we left our bedding in a bit of a heap when we were heading out for a game drive one morning and managed to bend one of the side bars and it doesn't quite close by it's self now. Not a big deal you just have to encourage it a tiny bit when closing then it folds in no problem. I'm sure it just need bending back to shape.

I was also pretty pleased the the mpg with it fitted, I thought it was going to be horrendous but not at all in fact it didn't seem to make much difference.

Picture taken from a boat on the Zambezi

P1016932.JPG

Thanks for the tip re bedding. I did make enquiries about buying one in SA and shipping it over via consolidated container (not many buses between SA and the UK :)) to save a bob or two, but by the time it eventually got here (VAT, trans shipping and the likelihood of damage etc.) not a huge saving, so I got it from Dara at Tuff Trek down in Sussex.

I actually went to see Dara at Tuff Trek to have a look at one before I bought mine. He was super helpful even when I admitted I wouldn't be buying from him due to the car being in Zimbabwe. He also recommended the Snomaster fridge freezer which I also bought direct they are also based in Jo'burg. I love that too. You can fit loads of beers in it and it stays really cold even at 40c+

Nice pics.
I noticed no one has a rooftop tent and spare wheel on their roofrack.

Is it even possible length wise or just too much weight high up?

I have a 105.

I currently have my spare on the roof —as the swing away damaged the rear wing and I have a lpg tank underneath.

I would like a rooftop tent but think that would mean putting the spare inside unless it could also go on roof?

I don’t yet have a tent- just thinking ahead.
A better mounted swing away carrier would be the long term solution but can’t afford that at the moment.
Thanks

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice pics.

I have a 105.

I currently have my spare on the roof —as the swing away damaged the rear wing and I have a lpg tank underneath.

I would like a rooftop tent but think that would mean putting the spare inside unless it could also go on roof?

I don’t yet have a tent- just thinking ahead.
A better mounted swing away carrier would be the long term solution but can’t afford that at the moment.
Thanks
Hay up. I actually had my RTT and spare on my roof. I have a 100 series. My rack is a front runner. I spaced it slightly longer and wider than their catalogue options (which is a good thing about their kit). I allowed for a 285 tire and my arb. Easy fit and still room to add the tension bars for the tent with it opening backwards.

I had to change the ladder when i put that on my 80 because it wouldn't reach the floor :lol:

Open it would sleep 3 people easy though and it might leave room for a spare wheel on the roof .

I have a 105.

DSCN0932.JPG

Obvs it depends on the size of your roof rack, tent and spare wheel. This is a Hannibal 1.2m x 1.4m on a full size Front runner roof rack with BFG AT2's, and there was even some spare for a ladder.

I didn't think there was significant body roll with that much weight up there, albiet it has upgraded suspension.

So, yes it is def possible.

Thanks all. Very helpful.
Got the roofrack modified yestetday by a local guy that builds roofracks-from a basket to flat and lengthened to 210cm
This leaves me 125cm of of rack behind the spare.
CB30AC73-45B1-42AB-B3E9-8B24A1029730.jpeg

So just enough to fit a tent.
The equivalent of 45 quid very well spent.

Back