Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Absolutely Gutted In Morocco

After Byron's unfortunate incident there has been mention of a 'grab bag'
All the essential bits and pieces I have are usually scattered around the cabin so I have bought a black one of these,
https://dotshopper.com/collections/military-gear/products/mbg-152

the camo ones looked nice but itf in foreign parts I didn't want anything looking military.

Last edited:
Nice one Chas. Only thing I can say about the black one though is it looks a bit like a camera bag. The Khaki one is maybe more neutral.

Nice one Chas. Only thing I can say about the black one though is it looks a bit like a camera bag. The Khaki one is maybe more neutral.
Yes you are right Chris Oh well, it's done now. My idea was to keep the bag somewhere out of sight but easily grabable for me.

A minor point Chas. A minor point.

I did pick up a new AFFF extinguisher the other day. Local caravan shop had them for £19. I figured it was worth the money. Got one in the trailer and a powder in the truck, but the AFFF is a good medium for putting out this sort of thing. Powder is messy and it doesn't cool at all.

A minor point Chas. A minor point.

I did pick up a new AFFF extinguisher the other day. Local caravan shop had them for £19. I figured it was worth the money. Got one in the trailer and a powder in the truck, but the AFFF is a good medium for putting out this sort of thing. Powder is messy and it doesn't cool at all.
I have a powder one at the back of the truck another inside the offside rear passenger door plus one of those you strike like a large matchstick beside the drivers seat and recently I've installed a large CO2 extinguisher behind the drivers seat, I think that may be be overkill, but you can't be too careful. Perhaps I should inform the local fire brigade in case they are in need of back-up. :laughing-rolling:

I don't think you can overkill a killer Chas, as long as there's somewhere left for you to sit, and they're secured safely.

I often wonder about several kilos of extinguisher, with the flimsy plastic retainer. Slam into the back of someone, and a few kilos of cylinder smacks you in the back of the head:shifty:

I'm now going to look up what AFFF stands for.... :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cool, looks like serious stuff...

Foam (AFFF – Aqueous Film Forming Foam) Fire Extinguishers are suitable for use on Class A (wood, paper, material & cloth) Fires & Class B (Flammable liquids: spirits, diesel, petrol etc.) Fires.

I agree, the powder is not as effective as I would have hoped, and one went off by accident in the back of my truck, what a bloody mess! And you can't shift it, I've vacuumed and brushed and washed and all sorts, still crops up!

Carpets and trim out when summer comes, and give it all a jet washing. :lol:

I had a fire extinguisher go from behind my seat in a 66 splitscreen vw to under the brake peddle will discharging it's self.

That was one of those motoring moments where you have no idea what's going on.

I don't think you can overkill a killer Chas, as long as there's somewhere left for you to sit, and they're secured safely.

I often wonder about several kilos of extinguisher, with the flimsy plastic retainer. Slam into the back of someone, and a few kilos of cylinder smacks you in the back of the head:shifty:

I'm now going to look up what AFFF stands for.... :icon-rolleyes:
Yes Clive they are all fixed down, when you find out what AFFF is let me know too, hold on, just googled it's Aqueous film forming foam :teasing-blahyellow:

Yes Clive they are all fixed down, when you find out what AFFF is let me know too, hold on, just googled it's Aqueous film forming foam :teasing-blahyellow:

That's the stuff, post #187 above...

I asked a fireman about this as it is a nightmare we could all face. His reply was:

"The extinguishers you see the pit crews using in F1 are CO2 ones. I can't remember the particular size – fairly small one – but it is worth asking your local fire station as they will advise on latest sizes and best place to purchase.
"You should take two. And be sure to get the ones with the flexible hose on so that you can direct it towards the fire easier. If there are two of you and there is a fire under the bonnet you would flick the bonnet open, stand back as quickly as you can and go to the side of the fire. So if the fire is coming out the front of the bonnet, one of you each side of the vehicle attacking it.
"And try to always have as much fuel in your tank as you can. The gases left in an empty fuel tank will ignite a lot quicker than fuel itself.
"And you need to be careful when using CO2 - hold it by its proper handle, do not touch the trumpet where it comes out. If you put your hand on that it will freeze to it and you’ll not get your hand off it without losing your skin."

Only just seen this thread :openmouth:
Sorry to see your pride looking like this Byron :disappointed:
The 'mental scars' will take a long time to heal, don't let this experience change your outlook on things.
I had a nasty accident on the way home from Morocco in 2009 and it still effects things I do today 8 years on....

Only just seen this thread :openmouth:
Sorry to see your pride looking like this Byron :disappointed:
The 'mental scars' will take a long time to heal, don't let this experience change your outlook on things.
I had a nasty accident on the way home from Morocco in 2009 and it still effects things I do today 8 years on....

Thanks Paul. It was a hell of a knock back. But I feel lucky to be still around to have another crack at overlanding :).

2 days ago we stopped at the location of this tragic event.

Not sure what I expected but we found a lump of molten alloy from one of the wheels and an empty beer
IMG_6491.JPG
can

excluding the Moroccan authorities there are only 6 people who have been to this location with knowledge of what happened, and probably only I have it marked on a GPS.

I thought there might be more sign or something of what happened but only the lump of metal I stuck in the bush and an empty beer can we left behind (definitely ours as its a brand you cant get locally, now disposed of correctly)

Only a few days ago I went through all the photos I still have stored in my phone from that day....I'm really, really glad none of us got injured seriously!

Back