Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Absolutely Gutted In Morocco

There are various locking versions available which eliminate the security issue but will need unlocking in an emergency. If I went for locking the key would be with the ignition key so easy to access when needed
Yes Mark, the obvious place would be with the ignition key

Been thinking about this a lot like all of us and think this would work:
Fit the quick release pins.
Convert the cable pull with a solenoid that drives the bonnet to unlock when ignition turned on and lock when turned off so it is secure when unattended.
Weaknesses:
What if the battery goes flat when locked? Potentially some charging points could be installed somewhere accessible.
Still a work in progress

Convert the cable pull with a solenoid that drives the bonnet to unlock when ignition turned on and lock when turned off so it is secure when unattended.
Weaknesses:
What if the battery goes flat when locked? Potentially some charging points could be installed somewhere accessible.
Still a work in progress

simple rules on expedition trucks

Something lost on so many builds as well. Simple works and if it doesn't is simply fixed

Weaknesses:
Still a work in progress
My current 100 came fitted with such a system. A solenoid that locks the bonnet when the car is centrally locked, and unlocks when the ignition is turned on. And it has a hidden emergency opening feature. On mine it is in addition to the normal, standard, bonnet lock/release, but could easily be used in addition to quick release (racing) pins instead.
(It also came with an extra immobilizer, and a tracking device and remote control immobilizer. Obviously paranoia)

Weaknesses:
Still a work in progress
I've just ordered three of these, one for each battery, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301361006029?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
and now looking for some locking bonnet pins that don't cost the earth. It's such a shame that it has cost a man his truck to prompt this sort of thinking.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Really sorry for your loss you can replace Mr T but nobody can replace you and yours you got a big Man Sack to talk about it so soon and if you replace Mr T best of luck for the rebuild

Really sorry for your loss you can replace Mr T but nobody can replace you and yours you got a big Man Sack to talk about it so soon and if you replace Mr T best of luck for the rebuild
A problem shared is a problem halved.
Doesn't get MrT back but talking about it is part of the healing process.

I've been thinking about solutions as well; I've just been watching a mate at a Motorkhana today, where there are all manner of vehicles in various stages of fast road/rally prep.

Couple of cars were running bonnet pins, some had a wire external release... but I was thinking about the fire side and thought of the cat's arsehole solution (add in I've just come back from a friends place where the cats were walking around with their tails up...as they do...)

A couple of holes in the bonnet sealed with a rubber flap that is split into pizza slices (as such) that allows a fire extinguisher end to be shoved in and flood the engine bay without having to open the bonnet up.

Not 100% sure that it would work, but more food for thought...

Glad to hear that everyone is OK, and I'm a big believer in these reflective periods to not be a witch hunt, but instead a period to share ideas and learn things. We went to a lessons learnt approach rather than a incident report when I worked in outdoor education.

It's a case of all the available aids really I think Ed. Without being able to isolate the batteries, you'd need to be constantly extinguishing fires until the batteries were depleted…all of them or until the offending fire starting article disconnected itself. I do think getting the bonnet open is key. If nothing else is taken up from this learning than a fail safe simple bonnet release then I think most situations can be dealt with. Certainly it seems it was pivotal in Byron's sad tale.

If you jam any fire extinguisher onto a hose the fluid will discharge at the other end of the hose . What i picture is a winch isolator and a hose mouth accessible through the wheel arch (heat rises) . A simple fix that leaves us with all day to think about how to get the bonnet open .

Try to forget the fire for a moment and ask yourself how you will open the bonnet if the catch fails at home and there is no rush . Failure is not an option and neither is a fire axe so once its open you will be thinking i'm gonna put a thingymajig on there so i don't have to waste any time the next time it wants to ruin my day .

I've been thinking about solutions as well; I've just been watching a mate at a Motorkhana today, where there are all manner of vehicles in various stages of fast road/rally prep.

Couple of cars were running bonnet pins, some had a wire external release... but I was thinking about the fire side and thought of the cat's arsehole solution (add in I've just come back from a friends place where the cats were walking around with their tails up...as they do...)

A couple of holes in the bonnet sealed with a rubber flap that is split into pizza slices (as such) that allows a fire extinguisher end to be shoved in and flood the engine bay without having to open the bonnet up.

Not 100% sure that it would work, but more food for thought...

Glad to hear that everyone is OK, and I'm a big believer in these reflective periods to not be a witch hunt, but instead a period to share ideas and learn things. We went to a lessons learnt approach rather than a incident report when I worked in outdoor education.
The cat's arsehole solution? Hmm, food for thought.

I was just watching a bit of survival Russia, as you do on a Sunday morning, and the guy has something that could be of interest at 5 mins 10. Sorry if it's irrelevant.
I'm sure theres a modern day equivalent.

I was just watching a bit of survival Russia, as you do on a Sunday morning, and the guy has something that could be of interest at 5 mins 10. Sorry if it's irrelevant.
I'm sure theres a modern day equivalent.

Something like that is what I was meaning earlier in this thread, a single 'hit' kill switch.

Something like that is what I was meaning earlier in this thread, a single 'hit' kill switch.
Like an emergency stop button on industrial machinery? I hadn't thought about it until I saw this.

Like an emergency stop button on industrial machinery? I hadn't thought about it until I saw this.
But multiple batteries would need multiple switches, yes?

Back