Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC Compressor

Well, Well, it looked like a "Wobble Plate" motor. I thought Air-Con pumps were vane-type.

I live and learn.

Bob.
They're really nicely engineered pieces of kit and as you say work on a wobble plate. I dare say with appropriate calving it could be made into a motor. Some of the newer ones are scroll compressors I believe.

I took it apart to firstly find the offending bearing, but then became intrigued as to how it worked. Quite a precise bit if kit with lots of thin metal plates with odd shapes to them. I'll take a few more pics. I do want to get it back working again, not sure if it will be as good as new though. :whistle::whistle:

Denso only sell parts to car makers so any parts you need would have to come from Toyota and for my 80 there was a very limited list. Reconditioning firms usually provide you with a "reconditioned" one which is in fact a cheap Chinese new one. Or they can buy seal kits from USA which are not as strong as Denso ones but I've never seen the bearings for sale anywhere. I built a good one a couple of years ago by using 3 dead ones for parts and it's still perfect. Usually the bores are scuffed and the PTFE has come off the pistons so the unit is just good for the odd spare part. It's quite a fiddle getting those pistons back in as there is almost no clearance.

Thanks to Richard, Dave and my own perseverance I know quite a lot about the A/C systems now.

Back