Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adding aircon

RobfromYork

Country Flag
uk
Hi

Has anyone added aircon to an 80 that didn’t have it originally? What parts would be needed.

Rob

I am considering doing the same myself, mine does not have air con and after experiencing the high summer temps in central Spain one august I have decided air con is needed,so parts list would be.

Condensor
Dryer
compressor
evaporator
mounting with tensioner for compressor and crank pulley for air con fan belt
all plumbing and fittings/mountings and bolts, nuts
any ducting, plumbing for under the dash
air con switch at climate control and loom

Loom just in case some parts are missing, having thought about the amount of work needed to strip and fit i have come to the conclusion it might be best to buy another car with air con already installed or at the very least a donor shell.

Hmmm have I missed anything or over simplified it in any way.

:)

aircon 1.png

hi Rob,
my hzj75 doesn't have aircon originally, but all the wiring is there, so I just needed to install the hardware. I'm not sure if this is the case for the 80 as well. check for the wire for the clutch on the compressor somewhere near the airfilter housing. A single wire with a small grey connector on it. if you find that wire, I assume the rest of the wiring will be there as well.
maybe karl webster can help you with the hardware from a wreck.

@Julian : stripping and fitting was quite straightforward on the hzj75. a few hours work. talk to your local airconman for filling it up with gas and oil.

Last edited:
having thought about the amount of work needed to strip and fit i have come to the conclusion it might be best to buy another car with air con already installed or at the very least a donor shell.

:)

That would certainly be the easiest option and my choice, if decent 80 series weren't getting so hard to find. Sounds like an absolute nightmare to fit even if the loom is already there. Sourcing there parts will probably be the easy bit!

With patience, somewhere to work, the right parts, anything is possible, I have just rebuilt the air con system in a 22 year old BMW 7 series, and it has given me the confidence to seriously think about retrofitting air con to my 80, and most Toyota's I have worked on have the complete loom anyway.

And thank you to Chapel Gate, I knew I forgot something, the idle up actuator.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lol, a fan, thats cheating, and with regards to opening a window, look at my avatar, that was taken in Spain by swambo and you can clearly see that my window is wide open and my arm is even resting on top of the door, all that achieved was windburn.

It's something I was discussing with Karl for the parts.

It would be a straight forward task. I was planning on using flexi hoses to make life easier

Will be watching this with interest as my GS doesn't have air con and I have just about all the parts available.
AFAICR the air con was a dealer fitted option in 95 costing over a grand, not many took up the option but GS's with it on do come up .
This could be interesting especially the option of using flexible piping.

As stu says Rob. I have everything on a truck that I left complete.
I know a guy who can make up the pipes needed if any pipes are shot.

If all the wiring is there I'd imagine the biggest job would be installing the heater box which fits in the dash.

Doesn't the evaporator box just clip straight on to the existing heater box? If the heater box needs changing as well it's a much bigger job and you'd need a top condition 80 for it to be worth while.

It's just taking the dash out and replacing the heater box.

That's not to bad and worth it of you really want aircon

List looks good, IIRC there is an ECU somewhere? Don't forget the expansion valve and cabin temp sensor, some have a sensor on top of the dash.

Concede to pulling the entire dash, once you have your head around that I reckon it will be very straightforward.

Regards

Dave

@Dave can you get to the bulkhead pipes and insulator through the glove box space?

Regards

Dave

Disconnect the pipes on the engine side, and the whole box comes out towards the passenger seat (after taking out the mounting screws, blower etc). In the box is the txv, sensor etc.

Every single japanese car was made this way until about 10 years ago. Now its all one huge assembly that takes forever to get to, and contains the heater matrix.

Nice info, never had one out so handy to know.

Regards

Dave

Back