Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice on Large Shed Materials.

frank rabbets

Guru
I'm building a large storage shed 10metre x 5 metres. I thought I would use tanalised timber frame and feather edge boarding. Then I thought of marine ply' instead of the feather edge boarding as it would be quicker to erect and be more difficult to break in to. Is marine ply really waterproof or will it delaminate? All thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Marine ply uses waterproof glue, but it still needs a protective coating like paint for boats.

I built my drawers out of marine ply and they told me to coat it in watered down pva glue to be sure.

Ummm, depending on your budget and intended life of the structure, you might want to consider the fibre-board cladding alternatives... come recoloured and totally maintenance free for up to 10 years... afraid I don't know what the comparative cost would be against what you intend, but sure you can do the maths... have a look at these to get an idea of what they are:

Hope this is useful, good luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You can use cheap rock wool and sandwich it between cheap ply and the roofing sheets. Then the inside is great to put Hooks etc into for tool hanging too.

I’d advise against using wood for sheathing altogether, last year we had a neighbours firework start a fire in our garden, which ignited our heating oil tank, and then the garden shed, spreading into their garden and then their tank, shed and decking! The loss suffered by us both was huge, including 3 old motorcycles I had. As you can guess the insurance won’t pay out for anything vehicular, and theft cover for most Insurance policies is only £1000 for garden items.
I’d recommend anything fireproof, as the extra cost now may save you in the future!

Cheers

Being 10m long and 5m wide, you'd be best to buy a steel framed building as with a 10m length you would need a intermediate frame to carry the bays (2x 15ft) to support the roof and make the build future proof.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/steel-fr...h=item3fb275dfd6:g:NvUAAOSwkyNa3FD2:rk:2:pf:0

Something like this..

Then to do softwood frame infill, osb board internal and weatherboarding external.

A mate of mine has just built a similar sized workshop this way. Its a great sized space and a strong construction. Jobs a goodun!:thumbup:

any ply would work if you painted it. it would look like something out of a shanty town though..
any box section or tin work will condensate it isn't insulated. especially if you plan on any sort of heating.
this job is going to cost you about twice as much as you originally thought...

Back