Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another legend gone!

Yes, Lynn spotted that this morning. He went to the same school as me (though not at the same time of course[emoji4]).

I never really had pop music heroes apart from Buddy Holly and Bowie, he will certainly be remembered, he was the Picasso of pop.

There's a starman waiting in the sky.jpg

Last edited:
No disrespect intended , I knew he was an icon but i never knew why , i've just looked up his greatest hits and yeah i know a few of his songs even if i never knew he sung them . Perhaps it might bring you some consolation to you Chas if you could explain to me what it is i am missing ?

The world is a poorer place today. 1973, I discovered women and David Bowie. I know which I still prefer to listen to. With Bowie you either get him or you don't. Aladdin Sane was the first album that did it for me, the rest just followed. He had quite a successful film career too. To say he was talented hardly does him justice.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I don't need consoling, I'm not in tears here but whereas most bands and musicians evolved a style or even didn't really change at all, David Bowie invented a completely fresh persona and style over time, Alladin Sane, Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke and more, even David Bowie was an invention, Bowie was born David Jones in January 1947 but reinvented himself as David Bowie, in 1966, in order to avoid confusion with the Monkees' Davy Jones. He also appeared in quite a few films, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and The Man Who Fell To Earth being the ones I remember most.
It was the title track of his second album, Space Oddity, which grabbed my attention I was 27 then but still a teenager at heart a bit like that now, I find myself saying yeah I can do that, then finding out no I can't.
Maybe it's my age Shayne, these rock stars popping of are like breaks with my youth, last week it was Lemmy now David Bowie, who next?

Last edited:
As much as I like him and I grew up with his music the BBC 1 coverage this lunchtime was almost 15 minutes long. No doubt a slow news day. Yes DB did have a huge effect on music/culture but 15 mins airtime?? There is so much going on in the world which is current and relevant today for which that time could have been better spent (IMHO). I've decided not to watch the news for today and tomorrow.

Sad to see anyone pass away and my thoughts go to his family & friends at this difficult time.

I guess we all have songs that take us back to a time and a place that we will never forget and Bowie just wasn't on that list for me .

Condolences to all those who knew and respected him though of course .

Buddy Holly Chas!! His first LP was the first "pop" record I played in 1960.

Did you know when he died that was the day the music died in American Pie? Bad News on the door step. I could not take one more step. Buddy Holly, Richie Valence and the Big Bopper. The three men I admired the most, the father, son and Holly Ghost they took the last train to the coast the day the music Died.

7.30 p.m. tonight Beeb one.

I'm sort of with Shayne on this one. I recognise that he was great to many and was a huge influence but I guess I fall into the camp of those that don't get him. I can take his music or leave it as it doesn't offend me.

Likewise, thoughts with the family like anyone who has gone.

Another name from my childhood died a day or two ago, Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart.

The one that really felt like I had lost a part of my childhood was Oliver Postgate. At least they've brought the Klangers back…but it's not the same without his voice.

Just thought of one track. Heroes. Like that one.

It's more that just liking his tunes. Talent is bigger than that. I'm not the biggest fan of his music but in relation to appreciating his skills, ah well, that's very different. We have a phrase in our house 'He's good at what he does, I just don't like what he does'. I usually say that when someone mentions Mr Springsteen.
Bowie just had some X factor about him. Something hard to really express. It's bit like the difference between beautiful and attractive. They aren't the same thing. I wasn't a huge fan of his music, but was a huge fan of the man and the way he played it.

On my 8 track/cassette as well, played over and over, IMO he was simply different, first guy I saw wearing a skirt on TV!

RIP David Bowie

regards

Dave

Ah yes the Freddie Mercury factor i get that .

Edit before that statement is misinterpreted i always was impressed by Freddie's uniqueness .

Last edited:
This has sent me down memory lane tonight I can't find the song I used to listen to a lot as a kid , I don't remember enough lyrics and I haven't a clue about the artist or title and I'm not sure I want to remember it anyway . But I did find a pic of my mum who of course is a bigger star than the rest in my eyes .

image.jpeg

Buddy Holly Chas!! His first LP was the first "pop" record I played in 1960.

Did you know when he died that was the day the music died in American Pie? Bad News on the door step. I could not take one more step. Buddy Holly, Richie Valence and the Big Bopper. The three men I admired the most, the father, son and Holly Ghost they took the last train to the coast the day the music Died.

7.30 p.m. tonight Beeb one.

Yes, I did know about American Pie. I have all of the Buddy Holly recordings on vinyl and CD. I also have a 45 single called Three Stars which was a tribute to the three of them, can't remember the artist though.
I was shooting arrows at 7.30 tonight, what was on?

Last edited:
Music and memories, Bernard Cribbins 'The hole in the ground', my first vinyl on my first record player a Dansette, which gave me my first electric shock when I took it apart to see how it worked! :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

DB's demise is sad.

To think of anyone battling with cancer for years, and then losing, is a bit close to home at the moment, for me.

I certainly feel for the family and friends he left behind.

I'm with Chris on the man, admire his talent and liked some of his work, but can't say I was a major fan.

Still, it's a reminder that I'm getting older, when respected names from the past start to disappear.

RIP DB

Back