Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another legend gone!

DB's demise is sad.

Still, it's a reminder that I'm getting older, when respected names from the past start to disappear.

RIP DB

That's it Clive, it's a reminder of our own mortality.

My old gran used to say, we're only on loan.

It never meant much to me as a kid, but now it makes perfect sense.

I think I'm in your camp Chris. The media experts have not really explained why he was so popular.

I think he put into words what his fans were feeling but could not put into words themselves. As an audience there was a gathering of people with those feelings and sharing them for the first time rather than being alone.

It's a bit like in the old days when the car made a terrible knocking noise and would not start. No use talking to your mum and dad, and why hasn't anyone else been cursed by this. Then this weird looking bloke sings you a song explaining about shot big ends, how to fix them and your not alone. What a STAR what a relief.

Furthermore once you have experienced being a fan those revealing feelings never leave you.

It's a bit like in the old days when the car made a terrible knocking noise and would not start. No use talking to your mum and dad, and why hasn't anyone else been cursed by this. Then this weird looking bloke sings you a song explaining about shot big ends, how to fix them and your not alone. What a STAR what a relief.
Brilliant!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

So, what you're saying Frank, is that David Bowie and thus forum were doing the same thing…!

Who'd have thought it…[emoji4]

Sadly, (according to some) I'm subscribed to face***k and someone posted (and I shared) a vid of a young organist (Nicholas Freestone) playing Life on Mars on the organ at St. Albans Cathedral as a tribute to David Bowie.

At the time I shared it yesterday evening, it had had 2.9 million views and 24 hours later (now) it's had 3.4 million views.

For me, that's saying something about his popularity, maybe.

Sadly, (according to some) I'm subscribed to face***k and someone posted (and I shared) a vid of a young organist (Nicholas Freestone) playing Life on Mars on the organ at St. Albans Cathedral as a tribute to David Bowie.

At the time I shared it yesterday evening, it had had 2.9 million views and 24 hours later (now) it's had 3.4 million views.

For me, that's saying something about his popularity, maybe.

I just watched that link Clive but I couldn't decipher what the organist was playing. :confusion-confused: was it a Bowie tune. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just watched that link Clive but I couldn't decipher what the organist was playing. :confusion-confused: was it a Bowie tune. :think:

Yes, it is "Life on Mars" Chas...

Sounds great on a big organ (ooh-er missus) :lol:

I don't think anyone doubts Bowie's popularity or talent he just reached some of us and didn't reach others and that imo is all down to timing . The right song at the right time goes deep .

Still bugs me that a certain boy band song has the power to take me back to a place that has been closed for 20 years looking at a particular girl and knowing i could make it happen if i chose to , and i walked away . A bloody boy band !?! :oops:

Back