Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any painters out there ?

Thanks Gary , yes it is the bonnet and that sounds like a plan , my scoop looks good because i finally realized i was spraying like a limp wristed faggot and it is much better to lash it on and wet flat runs later if necessary , with that though i gave the flatted area another squirt of paint so everything matched up before clearcoat . :think: i guess black is black whether shiny or flat and the clearcoat will hide the difference .

And i have learned my lesson about damp so in future i will wait for the sun to come out .... or Helen to go out :whistle:

Last edited:
I remember when I painted a bumper end cap in my hallway when my wife went town thinking il have it done and cleaned up by the time she comes home,let me tell you I would never believe how far that mist goes every bedroom and front room was full of black spray,I ran round for an hour trying to clean up and still a week after it was still landing.my wife wasn't impressed that's all I can say.

Astonishing how much dust comes out of a rattlecan ain't it Shaun i had the forethought to spray with the hoover in one hand and the can in the other but still got a bollocking about the dust in the kitchen last time . It did stay in the kitchen though despite us having no doors and an open stairs so there's a tip for next time .
Besides my relationship philosophy is this - a woman is only happy when she is complaining , so give her something to complain about and all is well but give her nothing to complain about and she will be miserable and your relationship is in danger . Works for me :icon-biggrin:

Flatting back the separating line was scary but following up with some cutting compound and electric polisher did boost confidence that it will turn out alright .

wet flat 001.JPG

wet flat 002.JPG

Just needs clearcoat now .

Last edited:
I recon you're getting pretty good at this Shayne, nice looking job that!

I've always thought it better for the missus to be complaining about something I've done, it beats her complaining about something I haven't done... :lol:

I remember when I painted a bumper end cap in my hallway when my wife went town thinking il have it done and cleaned up by the time she comes home,let me tell you I would never believe how far that mist goes every bedroom and front room was full of black spray,I ran round for an hour trying to clean up and still a week after it was still landing.my wife wasn't impressed that's all I can say.

I put a temporary plastic dust sheet over half of the bathroom of a rental property we were in and sprayed a display stand for an exhibition we were attending a few days later. Had to as the weather was so poor. I turned around to find everything covered in black dust and didn't dare open the door until I'd cleaned up most of it. Lynn was in on it so just laughed.

So then Shayne when's your body shop opening,that looks very impressive :thumbup:.got to admit I like the way you and Clive think il give it a go so if you don't hear from me for a while it wasn't good :laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It did Gary but the sun was out today and it was warm so i set about it with clearcoat using a hairdryer to eliminate any possible airborne moisture just to be on the safe side . It's in the kitchen drying now but i fear its another case of the wrong colour and this time i am sure it's the halfords 202 toyota black rather than the clearcoat that's the problem yet my scoop which was fully painted looks a great match ?

I think i need to find a general rattlecan gloss black that doesn't need clearcoat if i'm ever going to have any joy with painting my truck .

Mine is toyota astral black, that doesn't need any clear coat. Just a base gloss black. Blending it to look perfect is difficult mate, get mine in sunlight and you can see where repaired it, colour is slightly off. Even if I got the spray gun out it'd need the whole bonnet doing to look right

Its so long since i investigated paint that i had to go and check but yes its marked toyota astral black i haven't thought about it since so i must of satisfied myself 202 and astral were the same . Trouble is it's not black enough . My truck is all lacquered so i figured clearcoat to be a must :think: do you use halfords ? i might try a tin of bmw black or maybe just the generic gloss black they stock .

I get mine mixed at the local paint place, use a halfords touch up though. Non metallic base colours generally don't need lacquer, is yours a metallic black?

Bmw jet black is a base non metallic

Not metallic or at least i don't think it is i got 202 from the vehicle plate under the bonnet .

Same as mine mate, 202 astral black. Just a straight black. Strange how your truck is lacquered

I wouldn't have known it but had a key scratch polished out a couple of years ago , the guys said give us 30 quid and we will do the whole truck . It was a mistake because a pressure wash has since blown a few little patches off revealing the basecoat underneath which now i think about it is a lighter black than it appears otherwise .

Maybe that's it ! maybe the original clear coat was tinted ?

Last edited:
Wouldn't think they'd tint the lacquer but anything is possible.
Could've been re sprayed at some point?!

No evidence of it and there always is somewhere . Might be my best hope to take the fuel filler cover in for a colour match mixed but the only shop i know of to do it is halfords . I've just been out to take a closer look and the bonnet scoop is actually a different colour to , pure black to look at but a faded black when sat on the bonnet under harsh light .

Revisited this today and all i can say is Halford's own gloss black is too light , and so is their BMW black and Audi brilliant black .

After buying all this i returned to Halfords and a young lad there who recognizes me as a familiar face suggested i take an original part to B&Q who can scan it to produce a paint code Halfords can mix and match .

I've read one or two suggestions on Supra threads that Toyota used a urethane paint in my trucks era so maybe that's the problem ?

Frustrated and getting nowhere i scrubbed an area where about an inch square of topcoat has lifted with white spirits and lashed enough clearcoat over the exposed base black to build it up past level just to see what it looks like when i polish it flat .

I took a panel from a 2 month old bus to b&q for a colour match. Came out better then matching the ral code later....

I will give it a go tomorrow Stu but i need it in a spray can so its a bit cheeky really as B&Q don't offer rattlecans i don't think .

Get the paint hot and brush on. Finish with vertical strokes and will look like you sprayed it.

Back